Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Which InputFormatter & Editor do you use / recommend?

The default InputFormatter on a new (2.1b1) installation is Simple Html, here on Vanilla Forums it's Markdown and I guess the only other option to choose from is BBCode.

On a new installation and here on Vanilla Forums the default editor + Button Bar is used, I have tried CLEditor but I'm not convinced (and it was mentioned it's causing problems when quoting?). I guess those two are the only editor options?

I've never had to do with Markdown before, and I for myself have never used anything else than BBCode when participating in a forum.

Is Markdown the recommended way when building a next generation community forum with Vanilla?

Is it better to stick with the default editor + Button Bar than CLEditor?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

In my community we use BBCode + Button Bar. We use bbcode because everyone there is familiar with it. If I were starting fresh, I would go with Markdown. It really is easier to use that bbcode.

I second not using CLEditor. If you absolutely need a wysiwyg, I also suggest Wysihtml5.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited May 2013

Button Bar + Markdown it is :)

Thought so that CLEditor isn't a good idea, which makes me wonder why it's included in the Vanilla core package.

Wysihtml5 looks interesting as well, I think I'll install it to take a look.

• A wysiwyg Markdown editor as in http://dillinger.io/ will be awesome :)

Perhaps hallo.js is more feasible?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The editor at dillinger.io is not a WYSIWYG editor but a simple text highlighting textarea with a nice preview. It would be nice if you have something like that when you are using an extremely big screen. I can not imagine how this could be used inside of a forum.
    The same goes for hallo.js: its strength is to edit text directly in place but that's not needed when writing a post in a forum.

• onreaonrea New
    edited January 2014

@R_J said:
    I can not imagine how this could be used inside of a forum.

It can be use here: http://vanillaforums.org/post/discussion/questions where there is enough space. www.AskUbuntu.com uses something like this concurrently on the topic creation page.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Hm – I just have thought about putting preview and input area side by side, which I think looks nice but isn’t the right way to do it, because of the different width the text will have later on.
    But you’re right: if you put the preview right below the input area, it would be very handy.

@R_J I mentioned hallo.js since it is effectively a jQuery plugin that could be implemented as a plugin quite easily. Create a new div that covers the input, and copy the markdown output to the input of the editor forms. Simple, wysiwyg editing for markdown.

That said, I think the benefit of markdown is that wysiwyg is not needed. I probably wouldn't use it. Others might though :D

(The above was originally written in direct reply to @R_J but apparently wasn't submitted)

Have you ever used something like RES for reddit?

Search first

• A concurrent preview is best choice!

@onrea you might be interested in a new plugins @kasper released called Epic Editor: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/epiceditor-plugin

Search first

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited March 2014

Like @hgtonight‌ mentioned, Epic Editor is definitely a good choice if concurrent preview is what you're looking for—the editor features a full-screen mode with this exact feature.

Also, if in-place editing is your thing, you should take a look at Medium Editor.

I should however add that @R_J‌ is probably right in saying that these types of editors might not be suited for forums—do therefore consider both plugins as experimental.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub