Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

From phpBB to Vanilla. Queries before taking the next step.

Hi Everyone,
I run a medium sized community in phpBB and was looking for the next step forward. I was thinking of IPB but then tried Vanilla and totally changed my mind!
I have a serious question though. It's about the Porting tool of Vanilla.
I have seen in other converting tools that they handle the redirects of the old link to the new links created by the new forum software(301 redirects and .htaccess). Does the Vanilla tool do the same? It's almost impossible for me to do by hand 30K post links and all other profile-member page links.
It's my last step before converting!
Also, if someone has any experience with the conversion process or want to add/mention something, he/she is more than welcome.

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited June 2013

@inBlogger Yes. I think it will set some up automatically. Otherwise, there is an entire section of the Dashboard called "Routes" in which you can write any new redirect you want.

If you're interested in the hosted service on vanillaforums.com, we offer managed migrations.

• Options

Ok downloaded my DB with the exporter, tried to import local and...
    Bonk
    Something funky happened. Please bear with us while we iron out the kinks.
    1) Crazy error message! Great Idea!
    2) But Why..?

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited June 2013

Hi @inBlogger, Vanilla is a great choice. I did the move from another forum software, so I know it can tough at first. Trust me though, the move is very worthwhile. Vanilla is now my goto forum software. The other ones can't compare. Here is what you can do to understand why it "bonked":

Go into /pathtovanilla/conf/config.php and add the following

$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView']

This will give you the explanation behind the errors

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

I should add, if you want, as @lincoln mentioned they do offer service to save you the headache :)

http://vanillaforums.com/solutions#migration

• Options

Thanks for your help, checked the error, needed a configuration for running successfully in XAMPP.
    Getting back to experiments right now!

• Options

Porter Plus has some great regex replacements while converting

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Hello @inBlogger,

Welcome to Vanilla :)

I know who you are and in fact I am a long time member and have attended one of your meets.

I have been using Vanilla for more than 2 years. Though I started with phpBB but soon moved to Vanilla. phpBB has great documentation and support community that Vanilla lacks, but there are numerous possibilities with Vanilla that you will discover in course.

All I could say is cracking/tweaking Vanilla is far easier and efficient than any other forum software out there.

• Options
    inBloggerinBlogger New
    edited June 2013

@UnderDog
    Porter Plus? I Used the Vanilla Porter(I suppose it's not the same tool you mention) found in Download section and though the export works great i am now experimenting in the redirects.
    Where could i get more info on Porter PLUS ? Thanks beforehand for your time.

BTW, the script worked perfect in setting up all forum content but 0 redirects in htaccess..

• Options
    TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@inBlogger said:
    UnderDog
    Porter Plus? I Used the Vanilla Porter(I suppose it's not the same tool you mention) found in Download section and though the export works great i am now experimenting in the redirects.
    Where could i get more info on Porter PLUS ? Thanks beforehand for your time.

BTW, the script worked perfect in setting up all forum content but 0 redirects in htaccess..

Edit https://github.com/vanillaforums/Addons/tree/master/forum-redirector to use phpbb

• Options

@Tama Brilliant! Thank you!