Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Manual setup

edited August 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello, I'm trying to install Vanilla on Heroku. Everything seemed to work fine, but the next day when I opened the forum, it showed the installation page again. It seems like the config.php file isn't getting saved. Indeed, if I try doing the setup and checking the filesystem immediately after, there is no file at conf/config.php.

This is probably a Heroku issue preventing the file from being saved, but is it possible to do the setup manually? Could someone possibly post a sample of their config.php file (with private details removed of course)?

Comments

• Ok, I solved the problem by inserting

<?php echo file_get_contents("conf/config.php"); ?>

at the top of index.php and copying the config file right after setup. (It turns out that it was saving fine, but with Heroku if you open a bash shell, that's a separate dyno from the running app.)

• I think that is the nature of heroku. It is based on release. Have you included the .gitignore file?

grep is your friend.

• @khaqanerus said:
    Ok, I solved the problem by inserting

<?php echo file_get_contents("conf/config.php"); ?>

at the top of index.php and copying the config file right after setup. (It turns out that it was saving fine, but with Heroku if you open a bash shell, that's a separate dyno from the running app.)

This doesn't sound like a satisfactory solution, as that file is changed all the time.

grep is your friend.

• I finished an installation rigth now on Heroku.
    Here is my roadmap:
    $ mkdir 'folder'
    $ cd 'folder'
    $ git init
    $ heroku create 'name'

-Adds the MySQL option to the Heroku app's config
    $ heroku addons:add cleardb:ignite

-See the URLs for your new databases
    $ heroku config

-Replace the 'info' with the URL from CLEARDB_DATABASE_URL
    $ heroku config:add DATABASE_URL='info'

Downloaded and unzip the Vanilla in the folder created b4.
    Download, Install and run XAMPP/WAMP/MAMP
    Go to localhost and install Vanilla locally using the info from 'heroku config'
    'heroku config' info is in this format: 'user':'pass'@'host'/'db_name'
    Remove the "conf/config.php" from .gitignore
    $ 'git add .' and 'git commit -m "'message"'
    $ 'git push 'remote' master'

My deploy still in test. Let's see if gonna work.

• lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

Is an easy to setup scalable environment. Grows as you want with one click (and obviously $$$).

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

so its a platform as a service environment. gotcha. cloud services always come with a price. $$ and complication. thanks for posing your experience for others to learn from.