Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Best Mobile Site (Navigation,Search and usability)

Hey Guys,

I've been looking through some of the bigger forums and noticed that their mobile site is not really user friend and it is hard to navigate.
For example, the mobile site on 9to5mac doesn't have a search ( or doesn't seem to be working), It is also very hard for me to find specific categories of interest. I also went on soompi/shoryuken and noticed that there isn't even a search bar.

I always though a search bar is very crucial especially in mobile. Do you guys feel the same way?
Which vanilla mobile site do you guys like the best so far?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@rocksalt13

Vanilla has a perfectly good default mobile theme, which 'kicks in' when a mobile device is identified.

It's very easy to modify it to suit whatever your main site theme is.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@rocksalt13: I'd assume mobile is for browsing, so a search bar isn't important to me personally, although I think a search page should be accessible

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

In my use cases mobile users are 65% of the audience. It's substantial to provide them with a good and fully working version to keep them as most of them are just coming by with a smartphone. Vanillas monile theme needed quite some tweaking and some ideas to make it interesting to those users. Check www.babyforum.at

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options

Are the majority of mobile users using phones or tablets?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options
    edited August 2013

58% Phones / 7 % Tablets / 35% Desktop

Just want to place this here as a reminder, because "mobile first" isn't a hype anymore. It's a reality that probably a lot of your users might visit your site only on mobile. Sure they want comfort.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • Options

@phreak your mobile looks amazing. Would you mind if I PM you for a couple more questions?

• Options

@rocksalt13: No go ahead.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited August 2013

@rocksalt13 said:
    @phreak your mobile looks amazing.

I agree. It looks really good!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    edited August 2013

I'm still working on different aspects. Sorry i don't want to take over this thread but wanted to show you a logged in design.

The upper right shows in order:
    Sum of "Notifications" (hidding when read), Fast "Profile" access and "New Discussion".
    The upper left icons slides in a side-menu.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The profile icon looks like a speech bubble and I'd recommend to use that outline for the "add new discussion" but the overall look is impressive