Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

2.1 Separate Local Definitions for Mobile

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited September 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Ehm, i've been digging deeper in developing new mobile designs and it would make sense to use different definitions in the local file for some things.

For example changing "new discussions" to "+".

Can i hook into the local via the theme engine? thanx for info.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited September 2013

I tried to do something like this using functions in the Gdn_Locale() class, but wasn't able to set (nonpersistent) translations through plugin and theme hooks.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

does this not work - adding definitions to your country specific php file.

themes/mobile/locale/en-CA.php

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@peregrine: I woulnd't know how i can set a different locale for the mobile and copy and change terms in a duplicated file. Small things can be done by changing CSS or do little tricks like adding div or span classes inside the translated term. With "visibility: hidden;" or visible you can adress them. But that's not the smartest workaround i thought so i was asking if there is already something like this implemented.

I also work on some responsive themes and especially here above described workaround is not bad at all. but it needs to be clearly explained to not so familiar theme users.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited September 2013

@peregrine said:
    does this not work - adding definitions to your country specific php file.

themes/mobile/locale/en-CA.php

Do you mean that method does work, doesn't work, or you are unsure?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• I Didn't try it. just asked if it was attempted and if it worked.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@peregrine: AWESOME. Sorry, i'm just too busy these days. Picking up, i promise.