HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Feedback for Resized Image Lightbox (RIL)

hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I noticed a custom JS event trigger was added in 2.1's global.js file after images have been resized. I used this to make a much requested lightbox for my community. Decided to package and upload.

Does it work as expected?

Any improvements?

Any complaints?

Put them here!

Thank you for trying my plugins. :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

nice hg..

one suggestion in js

change comment from

// drop that handler like it is hot

to 

// drop that handler like it is a hot potato

:) comment change another attempt at a joke (in case it wasn't interpreted as a joke).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• How do you include code like that?
    Test

• I do not get how you do numbered lines like that

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

@ilovetech, use three tildes before the block of code you want to post and after like this ~~~.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• And @hgtonight

Not to be mean, but what's the point of the plugin? I wanna know so that I know what I am downloading

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Vanilla automatically resizes images to fit within the your forum's content width. when clicking on a resized image, it takes you to a different page.

This plugin hooks in after images have been resized and hijacks the click handler to show the original image in the same page with an overlay and animation.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

This plugin adds Lightbox functionality to images. A Lightbox is a dialog that pops up and shows the full size of an image zoomed to the height of the browser without opening a new page when you click on an image that has been resized.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• edited October 2013

@hgtonight One bug that was very hard to find. Upon enabling on Vanilla 2.1 Beta 2, it gives me a false positive fatal error: "ResizedImageLightbox is missing the following requirement(s): Vanilla 2.1." So, can you fix that, please?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited October 2013

Just remove the version requirements.....or add your version instead

edited October 2013

$20 bucks is too little for something people can do for themselves if they research the forum for "is missing the following requirement(s):"

I think $1500 dollars is more on the money ;) ●~*

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@vrijvlinder said:
    $20 bucks is too little for something people can do for themselves if they research the forum for "is missing the following requirement(s):"

I think $1500 dollars is more on the money ;)

no, i'd gladly take $20 to fix one line of code. any day. 2 six packs of beer will easily wash away the sadness.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@vrijvlinder said:

pictures of beer are infinitely less satisfying than actual beer. but i'll accept it. thanks.

I can't wait for the technology to send real beer, that would bring world peace.

• @hgtonight said:
    Does it work as expected?
    Any improvements?
    Any complaints?
    Put them here!

Nice! Just installed it, and works as advertised.

If anything to improve it could be a customizable max. dimensions setting for the enlarged picture overlay or automatic centering and limiting size based on browser window dimensions.

I have tested it with various dimensions up to 4160x3120 and pictures always open centered from their original position with improper interaction with the browser page navigation (after enlarging the picture I can scroll to the right but not to the left, so the left part of the picture is inaccessible; my forum has the panel column to the right).

The other thing I've noticed is that the downsized picture from the comment stays visible in the foreground till I move the mouse outside that downsized picture which may be confusing to some users.

P.S. I'm not complaining, just reporting my experiences, your solution is way better than the original behavior with just opening the picture on a new page and having to hit the back button.

@MasterOne said:
    ... a customizable max. dimensions setting for the enlarged picture overlay or automatic centering and limiting size based on browser window dimensions ...

Thanks for trying my plugin!

I definitely want to revisit this plugin in the near future to make it more robust. I wrote it for my community which wanted something pretty now.

As far as changing the dimensions, I could see not expanding past the viewport width/height. Problem with that is then you need a link to the full size image if they want to zoom more.

As far as the issue you are having with the downsized image, care to explain in detail what is happening?

All criticism is welcome :)

Search first

• MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited June 2014

@hgtonight‌, please have a look at >>> this demo-posting <<< which contains different pictures sizes and your plugin at work. Is this the intended behavior?

That is not the intended behavior. Looks like a classic case of z fighting.

Search first

• MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited June 2014

All I did was downloading and installing the ZIP from your github repo, I didn't change anything. I'm running Vanilla v2.1 (final).

Edit: I just wanted to put Vanilla v2.1 into my sig because I always forget to mention it, but as it seems I still don't have permission to use a signature here?