Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to send bulk messages through conversation?

How to send bulk messages through the conversation box without typing the names of every user?

Best Answer

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    Answer ✓

@hgtonight said:
    It would be nice to be able to send a private message on registration or the likes.

Check "Registration PM" in the addon repository.

Also we are working on a send E-Mail based on rules plugin, where you are able to automatically send an E-Mail if registration or last login is X days away. With template builder for the E-Mails.
    I inform you once its ready.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Answers

• I am thinking of All or Members based on their roles for example. If there is such option, would be great

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

there is nothing that i am aware of that does what you are requesting.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You could copy the list of people and have it handy then just copy paste the names like hbf suggested .

It would be nice to have a select all option on the list of people to add to the conversation.

• What version of Vanilla do you use? Please send me a private message if you would like to sponsor a plugin to send a conversation to all members or members of a role.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

It would be nice to be able to send a private message on registration or the likes.

Sounds like a welcome plugin and I will happily add some money to the pot if he sponsors it, @Shadowdare

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• LOL I sound like a bank over here. I also would be happy if someone accept to do it for 5$ :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@ahmedaladdin said:
    LOL I sound like a bank over here. I also would be happy if someone accept to do it for 5$ :)

@ahmedaladdin
    I don't know what part of the world you live in but....
    I truly hope you get paid more than $5 for a full day's work, or at least $5 per week at your job. And at the same time if you are an employer, I hope you pay your employees more than that.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

for $5 I would be willing to finish writing this comme

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@hbf said:
    for $5 I would be willing to finish writing this comme

free mods...

-nt -on -assurable - dia -morate -meroration -nce - nd -ndable -nsal - ensurate

to name a few.

r u taking pledges.

Sometimes trolls come in all shapes and sizes and the insidious ones are the best at it. even when it comes to writing tutorials as we have experienced. Under the guise of trying or well-meaning. Its up to people to read the clues. and I don't mean you hbf.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited October 2013

@peregrine I was kidding. Shouldn't take it serious ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@ahmedaladdin

i realize its a joke now. so you meant either its not worth $5 to you or you are willing to offer more than $5

Answer ✓

@hgtonight said:

Check "Registration PM" in the addon repository.

Also we are working on a send E-Mail based on rules plugin, where you are able to automatically send an E-Mail if registration or last login is X days away. With template builder for the E-Mails.
    I inform you once its ready.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@peregrine said:
    Sometimes trolls come in all shapes and sizes and the insidious ones are the best at it. even when it comes to writing tutorials as we have experienced. Under the guise of trying or well-meaning. Its up to people to read the clues. and I don't mean you hbf.

i think the $5 offer is about what people want to pay for a plugin.. it's really not a reflection of the understood cost to produce, it's more about the perceived value of the result (not the effort)

it's unfortunate that it could take 20 hours to make a product worth $5 to only a handful of people. The key to software is to pick one of the winning models:

1) spend the 20 hours making a product that is worth $5 to hundreds if not thousands of people.

2) spend a your hours making an OS product that people are willing to pay support dollars for.

3) Or spend (tens of) thousands of hours developing software that is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to a handful of large corporate entities.

or you can support an OS community and provide your work free of charge with no expectation of making any return. Option 4 seems to be the right mentality around here, 1,2,and 3 aren't going to happen. Well 2 is possible, if you put enough work into selling yourself to businesses in your local market.

• edited October 2013

This is absolutely true @hbf. People like me don't have 0.001% of your experience in websites, server etc but trying to appreciate professionals contributions as much as they can. When they feel in danger (spending money) they take one step back if not more :) because, simply they don't know the amount of work spent in the backend for a plugin.

It would be beneficial if vanillaforums create a section in the forum listing the prices of some plugins based on their categories. For instance; 5 categories, start from 20$ up to couple of hundreds for category 5. Whoever wants a plugin, the developers can suggest a price for it and set the amount on that section.

• @hbf

I digested your statement.

I think the businessmodel of phreak and businessdad is the best model for making money.

that is, Don't give it to anyone unless they pay for it. Then when only that option is available for all plugins - by fee, then the masses will realize in afterthought - maybe I shouldn't have been such a tightwad about donations and supported the people who provide for community-based plugins, rather than piece by piece product sale only available for purchase.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@ahmedaladdin said:
    This is absolutely true hbf. People like me don't have 0.001% of your experience in websites, server etc but trying to appreciate professionals contributions as much as they can. When they feel in danger (spending money) they take one step back if not more :) because, simply they don't know the amount of work spent in the backend for a plugin.

It would be beneficial if vanillaforums create a section in the forum listing the prices of some plugins based on their categories. For instance; 5 categories, start from 20$ up to couple of hundreds for category 5. Whoever wants a plugin, the developers can suggest a price for it and set the amount on that section.

it's hard to categorize things of this nature, but it's probably worth attempting. IMO the categorization is dependent on the type of work involved, not the type of plugin.

for example
    1) minor modification to existing plugin
    2) development of new functionality based on existing plugin
    3) design of new functionality based on basic requirement and "similar too" existing plugin
    4) design and development of new functionality with only a few well defined requirements
    5) design and development of a new set of functionality with varying complexity

you could probably get a good baseline estimate for category 1-3, 4 would be a bigger range, and 5 would require a proposal.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@peregrine said:
    hbf

I digested your statement.

I think the businessmodel of phreak and businessdad is the best model for making money.

that is, Don't give it to anyone unless they pay for it. Then when only that option is available for all plugins - by fee, then the masses will realize in afterthought - maybe I shouldn't have been such a tightwad about donations and supported the people who provide for community-based plugins, rather than piece by piece product sale only available for purchase.

i be curious to know how successful they have been, given many options abound out there for themes and plugin development. i'm sure there is a bit of money to be made, but i still see their business model being in the "many hours of work for 10-20 paying customers." but i could be wrong, they could be successfully upholding business model #1.

That said, i know the former proprietor of vanilla skins wasn't exactly buying lambos and leer jets on the millions of $20 theme purchases he was getting. FWIW - i bought a vanilla skins theme, so I'm very supportive of what they are doing. i just think the market is small.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited October 2013

It would be beneficial if vanillaforums create a section in the forum listing the prices of some plugins based on their categories.

Vanilla forums.org is not in the business of selling plugins or development . The developers here are volunteers who love and understand the code. They deserve to get something in return or that the person gives back to the community with something.

When I started here, I had not much to help others with except css and designing graphics. So I gave back to the community in those ways which I could.

As I have learned a bit more I can help more, but still not an expert and I still need to research something to give a correct answer to a problem. Learning never stops.

Themes can take months to create. How do you charge for such extensive amount of work ? I donate my themes. Do not expect compensation. This makes me free to create whatever I want however I want and people may use them or not or just take the structure and make something new.

The price you are willing to pay someone for a plugin or theme should reflect how much use it will have and how much it is worth it to you.

I think the least amount one should start to offer Is $100 dollars. Save 20 dollars a month and in 5 months you have the money to donate. Or Donate $20 dollars a month.

Or donate $5 dollars a month for a year. Get your users to donate $1 dollar to help out .

There really is no excuse for not supporting a developer in a way they deserve. Life is a trade. If you just can't come up with something to help develop what you want, the next best thing is to take a crash course and learn to do it yourself . You would be amazed how much money you save when you know how to do it yourself :)

edited October 2013

@peregrine: I agree with you, but as the OS Vanillasphere is a pretty weak one regarding payments, it is actually impossible to earn money if you have a plugin payment model i think. You don't want to know how many themes i actually sell (hihi). It's a LOL, better not ask @businessdad if he got rich. ;)

@hbf: You are hitting the nail... well thought out.