Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to make a new System Account in Vanilla?

How do you make a new account that has the role "System" in it, much like the System account that Vanilla comes with, but how do you make another account or even a bot in Vanilla 2.1b2?

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited October 2013

If you just want a new System user, delete Garden.SystemUserID from your config and a new one will be created the next time it's needed.

Or, you can edit the System account to be named whatever you want, which is what I recommend.

If you really need a second bot account for some reason, the only thing that makes the account special is having a '2' in the Admin column on the User table. You could manually change that in the database on any user account.

It is extremely important any System-level account have an unguessable password for obvious reasons.

• Options

@Lincoln What do you mean by '2' in the database? I'm guessing the UserID which I am looking at right now in my phpMyAdmin with my host

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

No. There is a column called 'Admin'. That is where the 2 goes. Most users will have a zero there. The first user you created (during setup) will have a 1. Any bot has a 2.

• Options

@Lincoln Is there a number after that? Is there a documentation post that has a full list of the Admin column numbers?

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Nope & nope.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The best documentation Vanilla has, which is always up to date, is the source code.

I highly suggest reading and understanding the core classes. Start perusing /library/core. The code is well written and in general the comments are helpful.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

OK. I'll try