Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Keeping original Wordpress comment threads when upgrading to Vanilla comment system ?

I've been searching for an answer for this the past few days but haven't had any luck. One thread mentioned a plugin called 'Glue' which could be modded to give the desired effect.

Vanilla V2.0.18.8

Does anyone know if there is a way to keep all of your old Wordpress comment threads but upgrade to Vanilla's comment system on Wordpress.org in order to integrate a wordpress blog with a vanilla forum?

The current Vanilla comment integration plugin within Wordpress just removes all the old comments as soon as it's activated which is far from ideal if your blog has been running for some time.

Ideal Scenario:

1/ Keep all old wordpress comment data
2/ Upgrade wordpress comment system to Vanilla

If anyone knows a fix for this, I'd be much obliged!

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

I would suspect you could write a script to inject all old wp comments manually into the comment table.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited November 2013

@timotides messaged me about this today, so I am posting my reply in this discussion as well.

From what I think you mean, the problem is that the WP Vanilla plugin overrides the comments template in WordPress (WP) and you would like to make it so that existing WP comments are displayed instead, but replace the commenting form with the Vanilla comments embed. Of course, all future comments on WP posts will be made through the Vanilla comments embed.

To do this, you would have to make it so that the WP Vanilla plugin just adds its comments embed to the WP comments template instead of overriding the template entirely. Next, you would need to hide the reply links and WP comment form from the WP comments template, which you can do by changing and removing some code from your WP theme's comments template.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options

Yes thanks guys I just msg'd you back @Shadowdare fyi.

• Options
    meshugymeshugy Musician/Hacker ✭✭
    edited December 2013

@Shadowdare said:
    timotides messaged me about this today, so I am posting my reply in this discussion as well.

To do this, you would have to make it so that the WP Vanilla plugin just adds its comments embed to the WP comments template instead of overriding the template entirely. Next, you would need to hide the reply links and WP comment form from the WP comments template, which you can do by changing and removing some code from your WP theme's comments template.

Would you be so kind as to post more specific instructions?

I would like to use vanilla commenting in my wordpress blog. However, I'm currently using a plugin for wordpress called NexxtScripts which imports all the comments people make on Facebook into my wordpress blog. Since the Facebook comments are being imported into the WP template, they become hidden once I turn on Vanilla's commenting system. I'd love to be able to use both but I'm not sure how to implement your solution.

thanks...