Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] Probably an issue with css !

pracddhapracddha New
edited November 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

The sub-menu (activity, discussions, comments) on the profile page of users is dropping down. It seems to be in place when the page is loading but as the page loads completely, the sub-menu drops down making it look ugly. Check: [http://www.domainhostforum.com/profile/3/getfishone] How can i fix that. (I checked disabling all the plugins).
Same happened when I tried to apply plugins like Q & A on another forum (this time worse, not causing fall down on user page but on every page) even for the default theme.
Also, facebook icon for login is not in right position. And google login is not getting enabled at all. I click on enable but nothing happens. No plugin seems to be compatible.
I fix on one issue and comes another. Want to add a plugin and bring another trouble. Phew!

Tagged:

Comments

• version of vanilla?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• pracddhapracddha New
    edited November 2013

@peregrine : oh sorry I am constantly discussing about the issues about my site today...so i thought i was continuing the discussion (so forgot about mentioning version). But later on coming days when people will see this post, they may wonder about it. Sorry about that. My vanilla version is 2.0.18.8.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The Facebook is at the "right" place, it is simply not looking good, because the elements in this box all have different margins to the left border. When I'm not logged in and look at that box, I see that the text has margin 0, padding 15, the facebook icon has margin 0 padding 0 and the links below have margin 10, padding 0.
    Cleanest way would be to eliminate all left and right paddings and margins and give the box a right and left padding of 10 to 15, depending on what you like...

• pracddhapracddha New
    edited November 2013

Yes, thank you R_J for suggestion. Fixed that facebook error, here is what I used:
    On Facebook (plugin) >> class.facebook.plugin.php at the end of page put this inside:
    <style type="text/css">.Box.GuestBox #FacebookAuth img{margin-left:15px;}</style> Also, php code is not closed here in this page. So, close php at end using ?> before applying this style tag at the buttom.

@R_J : Can you also suggest on what can be done with CSS of the page i mentioned at the first post of this thread. You can see that sub-menu falling down making it ugly. That what also what happened when I used Q&A plugin on another site with default theme. If I can fix it here, probably I can figure out way to fix in that as well.

• pracddhapracddha New
    edited November 2013

Important notice:

Don't use above code inside class.facebook.plugin.php and also don't add ?> at the end. That will cause some error in the head part of the html. So, instead use it inside body tag of default.master.php of your theme, in case you are having issue with fb icon.

I didn't see anything "dropping", sorry. Perhaps you have some screenshots?

Whenever you have an id in HTML and a reference to that in your CSS with a hash sign (#FacebookAuth) you don't need to add a "path" to it. Simply adding #FacebookAuth {margin-left:15px} should be enough.

Don't alter core files or plugins if you only want to change CSS! Just set your "command" in your custom.css!
    So that includes that you don't include CSS inline e.g. in the body of default.master.tpl.

The closing ?>is not necessary and it seems to be some religious question whether to use it or not. The Garden framework coding guidelines (once I've found something like this) tell you to omit it.

• pracddhapracddha New
    edited November 2013

@R_J : The reason I added path is when you don't use that path; this margin will also take effect in when you click on that "sign in" and a sign in box pop out. Within that pop-up box it shows "sign in" and at right side they show "or you can.....[login in with facebook] img..." Hence, this img will also take that margin and it will get out of vertical alignment with [signin with twitter] img. So, fixing that small fb icon with only #FacebookAuth will cause problem in popped-up fb img. So, I had to give the path from where they had separated out as both of them take same id i.e. #FacebookAuth.

Okay, that's a good reason, but poor html. There shouldn't be two elements on one side with the same id. Maybe this should be changed in the facebook plugin, but it's a minar flaw...

By the way: when I click on that link on your page, I get a new browser window, and no inline popup

• @R_J: I have posted my comment and screenshot of the problem. Forum says that it will be displayed once it gets approved.

You could post it to your own forum and link to the image from here ;)

• pracddhapracddha New
    edited November 2013

@R_J: I haven't enabled image posting yet. Will that be needed for web hosting discussions? However, I uploaded the screenshot here: http://postimg.org/image/fz36pc0gt/
    The problem is showing only in user profile page. But my own admin profile page is not affected. GO to activity>> then click on any of the user who recently signed in. Then check their profiles you will see that issue.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Hi guys,

I couldn't really follow this thread, it already is very cryptical. But to sort it out, is this a weakness in our Fruit Forums or is this discussion about customization? If 2nd, it shouldn't be connected to the Fruit addon maybe.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • pracddhapracddha New
    edited November 2013

@phreak: While you designed a good looking theme, but it seems it carries lot of problems within itself and seems not working properly with lot of plugins. Since I used it, I had to fix one thing or another each time I added a new plugin. That is the reason why I see it is downloaded less, even though looking good in design.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

It is impossible to create a theme that will work with every plugin that is made.

Trying to do so is a fool's errand.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• pracddhapracddha New
    edited November 2013

@hgtonight: Yes, I understand your point. I am not trying to offend phreak here neither his work. What I see is after creating a beautiful theme, it seems as if he has stopped working on it or making updates on it. I was in problem from day 1 even on things like small things like logos and all. And it's not compatible with lots (i m not talking abt few) of plugins even which are compatible with default theme. So, what I suggested is to work and re-work on your theme. After making a good start, don't leave your work neglected.

And please let's focus on the problem here. If you can help me fix the issue please do so. I have attached the screenshot of that as well.

As @hgtonight said before, you cannot test your theme with every new plugin. It should work without any plugins activated and I think it should be tested together with some "often used" plugins, but there it begins: what is "often used"...?

To your problem: there's some strange behaviour that is most probably caused by a plugin. Deactivate all plugins, then activate them one by one and check the profile page after each activation.

When I look at the HTML of that part, the code for your getfishone account looks like this:

< ul>
       < li class="Active Activity">
          < a href="/profile/activity/3/getfishone" class="TabLink">Activity< /a>
       < /li>
       < li class="Discussions">
          < a href="/profile/discussions/3/getfishone" class="TabLink">Discussions< /a>
       < /li>
       < li class="Comments">
          < a href="/profile/comments/3/getfishone" class="TabLink">Comments< /a>
       < /li>
    < /ul>

Nice.

The ununtydust looks like this

< ul>
       < li class="Active Activity">< a href="/profile/activity/2/ununtydust" class="TabLink">Activity< /a>< /li>
    < li class="Discussions">< a href="/profile/discussions/2/ununtydust" class="TabLink">Discussions< span class="Popin" rel="/profile/count/discussions?userid=2">< ul class="DataList Activities">< li id="Activity_4" class="Item Activity Join">
          < div class="ItemContent Activity">
          < div class="Title">ununtydust joined.< /div>      < div class="Excerpt">Welcome Aboard!< /div>
          < div class="Meta">
             < span class="DateCreated">November 20< /span>
                   < /div>
       < /div>
       < ul class="DataList ActivityComments Hidden">      < /ul>
       < /li>
    < /ul>< /span>< /a>< /li>
    < li class="Comments">< a href="/profile/comments/2/ununtydust" class="TabLink">Comments< span class="Popin" rel="/profile/count/comments?userid=2">< ul class="DataList Activities">< li id="Activity_4" class="Item Activity Join">
          < div class="ItemContent Activity">
          < div class="Title">ununtydust joined.< /div>      < div class="Excerpt">Welcome Aboard!< /div>
          < div class="Meta">
             < span class="DateCreated">November 20< /span>
                   < /div>
       < /div>
       < ul class="DataList ActivityComments Hidden">      < /ul>
       < /li>
    < /ul>< /span>< /a>< /li>
       < /ul>

Brrr...!

That's not a CSS issue.

• @pracddha said:
    hgtonight: Yes, I understand your point. I am not trying to offend phreak here neither his work. What I see is after creating a beautiful theme, it seems as if he has stopped working on it or making updates on it.

Phreak was assigned as maintainer of all of @422's themes and plugins (Fruit being one of them), since 422 has dropped away from the scene.

So any theme or plugin that has not been updated in a year has been untouched by phreak and was created by 422. So, phreak can hardly be offended for any of these plugins or themes. He is purely the maintainer and he can update as he sees fit with his magic.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• pracddhapracddha New
    edited November 2013

@R_J: I just deactivated all my plugins and checked. But the problem still exits. And its getting even more strange. Because, yesterday problem lied in the profile page of "ununtydust" and "getonefish". But the admin profile page didn't had that fall back problem. Now strangly, the profile page of getonefish is also normal today. However one more user has signed up today i.e JohnnieCo (and started spamming right away :p). And now the strange thing is, profile page of admin and getonefish is behaving normal. But fallback problem lies in that ununtydust and new user Johnnie Co. More strange thing now is that, profile of getonefish and ununtydust is similar. Their role is "confim email" and hasn't made any activity yet. However, profile page of one is behaving normal and another have that fall back problem. (Is code making partiality between people :p)
    And yes @R_J, if you are online, I will be leaving my site without any of the plugin enabled till you check and confirm.

• FYI:

don't know if it relates.

Here's the rub on themes that have views, modules, etc. that overwrite vanilla's core views, etc. If the theme or plugin was written years ago they are based on vanilla code from years ago. The views and helper functions in in this plugin are based on code from 2011. If, for some reason a security fix was applied to the vanilla core views or whatever was being overriden by a theme or plugin, this security fix may very well not be acted upon.

• oh god now this only means, I have to abandon the theme...@peregrine....i worked so much on to make this theme workable for days continuously (and i am not a good programmer). I had to launch my hosting company and days are running out, and this forum was necessary. Now it only means I have to go to next theme which I don't want to. One last problem, and its acting strangely. @Phreak, Can you help me out. Please !

This discussion has been closed.