Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Delete link when post title is edited

edited November 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

As a member of a Vanilla forum I can't delete the link when the post title is edited. Is there a way to do it as a member or admin? Should I contact the admin?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

I am a little confused as to what you are asking. Perhaps you could reword your question or provide a screenshot of what is/is not happening.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited November 2013

thanks. I posted a discussion in a Vanilla-based forum, then changed the post title, but I can still access with old link too. I want to delete that link, and if it's not possible just delete the post, but I can't do that as a member.

edited November 2013

Now I understand.

This discussion (which is a Vanilla forum discussion) can be accessed via many URLs. Right now, my address bar shows http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25457/delete-link-when-post-title-is-edited#latest.

The second argument after the number is non-essential to the discussion controller. In this specific case, the following URLs will all show the same content:

So, you can't delete the title per se. It is merely put there for usability (and also SEO) reasons.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• So the only solution is by deleting the post I think.
    The admin isn't responding me...

• @supernovax said:
    So the only solution is by deleting the post I think.

yes

and creating a new one.

The admin isn't responding me...

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @supernovax if it is not your site you don't have to power to dictate how it is run.

The old link is there, in order not to have a dead one.

Anything you put is the public domain, isn't usually easily taken back. People make mistakes, but word of warning, if it is public then it can be public for a long.

grep is your friend.

You are trying to delete a discussion without actually deleting it. If you give the title something like 'deleted' and the body something like 'redacted' you will achieve the same result.

Search first

• edited November 2013

The problem is that the title contained something that I didn't want to appear in Google search, and now it's already indexed by that title, and linked to the modified post.

• Again be very careful what you post on the internet. if you wouldn't shout it in a crowded street don't put it on the internet. Lesson learned.

Site are not liable for stuff like this. It is publish by proxy, and public domain.

grep is your friend.

You could try issuing a request from google to remove the indexes.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/164734?hl=en

Search first

• I've already deleted the caché, but I couldn't with the page because it showed "active".

yeah, I'm used to the old forums where you could delete a post, or an edited post title would cancel the old one. That old one would redirect by 404 error to the main section.