Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Modifying Category Structures

I'm trying to modify the structure of some existing/imported content in a Forum. So for instance say there is this category structure:

Category 1
--> Subcategory A
--> Subcategory B
Category 2
--> Subcategory C

And I want it too look instead like:

Subcategory A
Subcategory B
Subcategory C

How would I do this? Is it even possible to do this? By modifying the database directly?

Tagged:

Comments

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited November 2013

@fraxture said:
    And I want it too look instead like:

Subcategory A Subcategory B Subcategory C

You want it to look like that in the view, correct? Are you using default theme or custom theme?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• To clarify, what I am referring to is not the look/style, but the actual structure of the categories. Basically, I want to know if I can make the subcategories into main categories, removing the existing main categories, and of course maintain all the content...

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Yes.

You can change the sort order and the hierarchy in the categories dashboard page by dragging and dropping. All discussions are attached to a single category and are displayed differently based on the sort tree. The sort tree is what you are updating as you drag and drop.

When deleting categories with discussions in them already, it will ask you what category those discussions should be moved to.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Uh oh, getting this error (see screenshot) when I try to do this. Ugh.

• Is it Vanilla 2.0.18.8 ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight, you wrote in that other post this answer to this problem:

This is a known issue. The category has to be empty to remove it.

>

If you would like to remove multiple discussions at the same time, I would suggest enabling the >Split/Merge plugin. I can confirm that this issue has been fixed in 2.1b1, but I don't suggest installing it in >a production site. (http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/182870/#Comment_182870)

But the category that I have tried to remove is empty. It was the master category, but now I have removed the subcategory that was one underneath it. Is there perhaps some legacy data making it think that that subcategory is still inside?

Have you tried selecting a different category to move the non existent discussions to?

That should force execution down a different branch.

Search first

• Yep that worked. Thanks!

• CheetahCheetah Australia New

That helped me too by the way.Nice job guys!