Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Suggestions for existing discussions by title

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited December 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi everybody,

On the OS side Vanilla is still lacking an intelligent working search. I also have to be honest about that i wasn't yet able to install Sphinx on my managed server.

startsImagining A plugin or any kind of addon that automatically checks the Database while typing the discussion title for similar words in other discussion titles and offers those discussions as a link below. While typing, a window below could float out via javascript and hold for example 5 titles that are suggestions which should also link to those discussions. Also there should be an "X" to close the window AND it should be closed once i leave the discussion title input text with my cursor. Close to visual effect when the Google search detects a certain phrase or keyword you typed and suggests additional words with popularity.

Inbuilt Features could be:

• Blacklisting of words (for articles, expletives, etc.)

• Option to define the wordlenght (min. 3 letters, min. 4 letters, etc.)

• Ordering of the found/suggested discussions (oldest, newest, do not show closed discussions)

• Number of suggested titles.

It would be great to have something like this for 2.0.18.9 and 2.1+, and also for mobile. Anyone has something in the drawer, anything willing to do, anyone who'd help by donating it? I'm willing to sponsor full or partly if someone is motivated to do it.

Greetz, phreak

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• There is is a reason why people use sphinx, somethign like that isn't really viable in mysql it you don't want to site to slow down to a considerably.

Not everything can be deployed out of the box.

grep is your friend.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited December 2013

Thanx x00. I hoped there might be a lightweight solution based on parts of what Sphinx delivers. Unfortunatley not everything looking light isn't heavy. :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • from the description of you server you could run sphinx,

grep is your friend.