HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Christmas giveaway - my premium plugins are now free and GPL

businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP
edited December 2013 in Feedback

As my personal contribution to the community, and as a Christmas gift, I decided to release my Vanilla Forums plugins free of charge, in the Addons section. The most requested one, I reckon, is my badges plugin, which I hope will prove useful to the many people who requested it. The only "fine print" is that I won't be able to provide support for the plugins, but I'm sure that the community will be able to help.

By the weay, the Git repository for the Awards plugin is now public. Feel free to "fork away". :)

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Awesome! Do you guys do such things each Christmas? :)

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP
    edited December 2013

@R_J said:
    Awesome! Do you guys do such things each Christmas? :)

Last Christmas I didn't have much to give away, so I compensate this year. Besides, I appreciate the work done by @hgtonight, especially with Yaga, and, as I already told him, I would be happy to help with his projects by passing him code parts that he can reause, without having to write them completely from scratch (his LatestPosts and my HotThreads plugins are already "cousins"). :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

@businessdad said:
    Last Christmas I didn't have much to give away, so I compensate this year. Besides, I appreciate the work done by hgtonight, especially with Yaga, and, as I already told him, I would be happy to help with his projects by passing him code parts that he can reause, without having to write them completely from scratch (his LatestPosts and my HotThreads plugins are already "cousins"). :)

I don't know if you followed other threads about "mensch". How do they say that in Gaelic?

well done to both you for making your super-code available and the same to hgtonight (who continues to astound me)!

Yet another Mensch before xMas :)

now, we all we need is the casual users who haven't voted to vote :)

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25578/nominations-for-best-plugin-created-this-year

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited December 2013

@businessdad: Bold move. Thanks... wow a lot of new plugins around to test and party with.

Strenghten your forums for 2014. ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

@peregrine said:
    I don't know if you followed other threads about "mensch". How do they say that in Gaelic?

Actually, I don't really know, I'm not Irish. I'm a "feckin' foreigner", as some people called me some years ago. :D

@phreak said:
    businessdad: Bold move. Thanks... wow a lot of new plugins around to test and party with.

Considering that I have very little time to tinker around with Vanilla plugins, I decided that it was a good chance to get someone else on board and work together on some projects. @hgtonight did a great job with the Yaga application, it would be nice to see if Awards and Yaga can be merged, and we could work together on them. :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

when will the other users learn to use reactions on the vanillaforums.org??

this is trully an awesome.

I placed the plugin under the tree and will unzip it on xmas.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

Actually, I don't really know, I'm not Irish. I'm a "feckin' foreigner", as some people called me some years ago. :smiley:

I bet they also say:

(say this slowly aloud)

"Whale oil be "fecked" , that @BusinessDad, he's one of the best "feckin' plugin developers een Erin, if not the whole "feckin' world ."

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This is awesome! You truly take ideas to a new level in terms of execution and documentation. These plugins (not just awards, but the foundation classes too) are a real boon to the community.

So... thanks :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

edited December 2013

@hgtonight said:
    This is awesome! You truly take ideas to a new level in terms of execution and documentation. These plugins (not just awards, but the foundation classes too) are a real boon to the community.

You reminded me of something that may interest @Shadowdare, for his Basic Pages plugin. The AFC adds support for longtext fields to Vanilla 2.0.x. How to use it: just declare the field as longtext. :)

Next step will be adding support for UNION operations to the SQL class, but that will require a bit more work.

• wow cool, free give aways are allways cool

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@businessdad,

mensch=persona altamente rispettabile,onorato,umanitario,gentilissimo :)

Thanks for the gifts !!! Grazie a te !!

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@businessdad said:
    Actually, I don't really know, I'm not Irish. I'm a "feckin' foreigner", as some people called me some years ago.

huh, Diego seemed like a true Irish name to me.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

Awesome of you to release all of this as OS. it's fantastic work as i noted before.

@hbf said:
    huh, Diego seemed like a true Irish name to me.

Not everybody knew my real name (but they do now). :)

• well he does own Guinness ;)

grep is your friend.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@businessdad said:
    Not everybody knew my real name (but they do now). :)

oops. you put it in the plugin info, so i didnt think it was a secret.

No worries, it isn't a secret

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

i'll gladly share that my real name is Hector Gonzalez Rodriguez, III, Esquire.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

So, does that make you a semi black Irish ?

@hbf said:
    i'll gladly share that my real name is Hector Gonzalez Rodriguez, III, Esquire.

I thought it was Bastiano Joao Coimbra de la Coronilla y Acevedo. I must have mistaken you with someone else. :)