Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Hyperlink problems

Recently any links that are posted in comments on my site don't display properly. For example when posting a link like this:-

http://my-site.com/forum/discussion/2097/testing-link-problems#Item_2

it displays in the comment as:-

testing-link-problems#Item_2" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://my-site.com/forum/discussion/2097/testing-link-problems#Item_2

It doesn't then work as a hyperlink as it should. Any ideas?

Vanilla 2.0.18.8

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

What formatter are you using for posts? (markdown, html, bbcode, raw)

What plugins are you using for the editor? (cleditor, buttonbar, etc.)

Does it mangle links that are added via the native formatter method?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

I don't really understand some of the jargon you are using. I haven't added any editors like cleditor or button bar or as far as I know implemented any changes that would change the "formatter" from the default. So I'm not sure how to answer the points you made. I haven't seen any links added recently that weren't mangled. Would it help if I gave you access to my forum?

• Options

Using a link shortening service like tinyurl seems to fix it http://tinyurl.com/ntt7byg displays properly.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2013

In your config.php or the config-defaults there will say what inputer you have on.

$Configuration['Garden']['InputFormatter']= 'Html';

Try using cleditor plugin

• Options
    avantime4mikeavantime4mike ✭✭
    edited December 2013

It's set to html:-
    $Configuration['Garden']['InputFormatter'] = 'Html';

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

Is it just new links in new discussions, or old links as well. or a mix and match.

did you change any embedding of site, js, or where your domain is located, or htaccess rules, or the web root?

did it happen when you updated vanilla, or did you add any new plugins?

you might as well update to 2.0.18.9 for security reasons and see if things solve themselves with an upgrade.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Made a few changes to tidy things up but only cosmetic I thought. Some recent links appear to be ok, I can't really see what the common factor might be. I'll try the upgrade as you suggest. Thanks.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

Made a few changes to tidy things up but only cosmetic I thought.

always good to make a zip backup of the source (a snapshot if you will) and the config.php, .htaccess and download to your local pc, before making changes . to see if the changes "changed something for the worse". keep note of plugins you add, locales you add, and any changes to conf folder as well prior to making changes. and a database backup wouldn't hurt either.

Prior to making changes to source code, themes mods, tidying up; the above are just good practices to get in the habit of doing. Granted, the backups and zips take time, but in the long run, they may save you time and you will always have a means to revert from your local pc, and you won't have to rely on your host provider to restore for you. You can also exclude large folders (like uploads) in your zip command to make things go faster. Or just individually zip up files you plan to change.

Then you could revert back easily.

also....

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.