Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I remove the text and stuff on the categories?

I really like what you guys helped me with last time but the category title along with the number of discussions and the RSS button are still there. Is there a way to remove these and hyperlink the images to the appropriate category?

I couldn't find out how to post this under categorybg plugin forum

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

it would behoove you to learn to use web-developer in firefox or chrome. there are tutorials and to get acquainted with css.

what css elements ids or classes did you try to change and how did you change them, that did not work for you?

you can remove elements with

theelementyouselected {
    display:none;
    }

you did however post your question in the correct place, if you are looking for a mod to the plugin, and if it has nothing to do with the plugin, you posted in the wrong place :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You are looking for a text replacement method using CSS.

A good starting point would be text-indent: -99999px;.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

ok ,

.DataList.Category a.Title is the text for the linked title.

.CategoryDescription is the description .

.DataList.Category .Meta is the info of author and date of post

To hide them

.DataList.Category a.Title, .CategoryDescription, .DataList.Category .Meta{
    visibility:hidden;
    }

edited January 2014

You will also need to make the link wider and higher so as to make the entire area clickable . Play with the values to make it the size that will work for you. You can probably add this code and the one above into the plugin css file at the very end.

.DataList.Category a.Title{
    width:680px;
    height:150px;
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    }

• Been busy with work so I haven't really been around, I wanted to say that I put .DataList.Category a.Title, .CategoryDescription, .DataList.Category .Meta{
    }

as the entirety of my custom.css and it shows the same symptoms as the problem I had earlier, namely being that it doesn't seem to work. Maybe notepad++ is broken.

• I also wanted to say that I downloaded the chrome web developer and am trying to do this with the "edit css" option as well as manually/

You need to add those changes inside the plugin's css file. You can add !important to it like this

.DataList.Category a.Title, .CategoryDescription, .DataList.Category .Meta{ visibility:hidden!important; 
    }

If the code worked to add the images it should work to hide the text. But I recommend you add these things inside the plugin's css file.

• BabyeaterBabyeater New
    edited January 2014

There's gotta be something either i'm doing wrong, or my installation isn't working correctly. For some reason the same code only worked in your plugin but when adding additional code nothing happens, even formatting it like this.

yes you need space between some of those

this .DataList.Category a.Title

yours looks like this not sure if it is from the image but make sure there is a space between .DataList.Category and a.Title

not this .DataList.Categorya.Title

also clear the cache of the forum all the ini files after you do changes. Clear browser cache too.

I know it works because I tested it . Just a matter of getting it in there correctly.

You can also try this

body.Vanilla.Categories.all .DataList .Meta, .ItemContent.Category a.Title{
        }

• come one come all. try to guess the css without being to see the web page or the elements. @vrijvlinder you should get the "working in darkness badge."

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

I'm just Crystal Balling ;)

they can't give a link coz it's a local install I believe. But if it worked in the plugin it should work again. Just a matter of time.....

Usually when something does not work in css is either something else keeping it from working , or was entered wrong. Or the cache issues. The thing works but they can't see it and start changing things when it worked all along but the cached page was the same. Like the favicon issue...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

yea but a screenshot of firebug or developer tool, would give some insights no? yes?
    So, you are working in the dark, but it could have a ray of light B) but then you could put sunglasses on.

but back to crystal ball, i don't want to disturb the vibrations from the other-world.

• BabyeaterBabyeater New
    edited January 2014

@vrijvlinder said:
    You can also try this

}

This one worked but now I can't click it to go to the page lol.

I tried using this that you put earlier

.DataList.Category a.Title{
    width:680px;
    height:150px;
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    }

edited January 2014

Ok yes you may need to add this to that code to make the font color transparent. Instead of visibility hidden for the a.Title code

color: transparent;
    opacity: 0;
    }