Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Problems with Google Login

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks for a great forum-software, I really enjoy it :) I have set up a forum at www.sgtrumpel.de/forum and it worked out of the box very well. Since a few days, though, many users, including myself have problems logging in with Google. It is strange, as I did not change anything. Research led me to some posts stating that you would have to delete the cookies in your browser - but that did not solve the problem.

When I tried to login into this forum, it gave me the same error as when trying to login into my own forum:

Provide is required.
UniqueID is required.
The connection Data has not been verified.

Also, I noticed that the target= parameter has no value in the URL. I havent been able to find out if that is the problem and where I could solve it. Atm I am using Vanilla 2.18.10 and the google Plugin 1.1 (have tried with 1.0, too)

Has anyone adressed this problem yet or does already know a hack around it?

Greetz & thx for any help,

MSmith

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Someone has addressed it: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/201497#Comment_201497 but there seems to be no solution by now

• Yes, I saw that post - but as there was not a real solution I hoped that someone else has found something ^^

Strange that this issue is also happening when logging in to this forum - so I would think that many people have this problem...

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@MSmith said:
    Yes, I saw that post

Lass das keinen Moderator hören... ;)

I'd suppose you stick to one thread only and mention Todd (site admin, Vanilla developer) over there in order to get some attention.

• Let's stick to this thread, it has all the right details mentioned.

My users have also notified me that they cannot log in via Google on my forum. I am running the same version of Vanilla 2.18.10 and the same GoogleSignIn 1.1 plugin as MSmith.

This must be a change on Google's side, all Vanilla installations could be effected by this. Could you please take a look @Todd? Thanks!

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yes I had to give up trying to sign into here with google, it does work after 3 or 4 flushings of the cookies and cleared the cache.

I did write to Lincoln to report the issue but got no response so far.

• @MSmith, are your users still unable to log in? Mine still cannot log in through Google.

I'm running the latest GoogleSignIn code that's on Github, I'm not sure what more to do :(

• This is happening to us as well.

The only thing I've been able to find (so far) as to what may be occurring is an entry from another developer regarding a change in the format that Google is returning in the openid.return_to value

He reported the issue on Jan 24 which seems to be about right as to the timing of when the error started for us.
    No response from Google as yet.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!starred/google-federated-login-api/

dbm

• @crmarks yes, I still got the same Problem.

• @Aden123 said:
    vanillaforums(dot)org/discussion/comment/201497#Comment_201497

This will be helpfull, I bet.

That appears to unrelated to the discussion, the Quotes plugin is not effecting GoogleSignIn.

I am surprised this isn't effecting more forums.

• I have resorted to advising my Google Sign In members to utilize the lost password feature to convert their Google accounts over to traditional user accounts. Once they reset their password, they can log in with the same email address as their Google account.

Unfortunately I will lose some users, I don't have an easy way of informing them all of this workaround.

• I don't have an easy way of informing them all of this workaround.

an announcement maybe.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

It's being worked on, but this is about google code specifically open id problem.

People can use the normal forum login by using their email and the system will detect that you already have an account then you will be prompted to add a password if you have not done so.

At least until this gets sorted out. It is happening to others not just Vanilla forums.

I don't have an easy way of informing them all of this workaround.

You can add a message that can be dismissed, or add some text with an explanation to the sign in forms. This is an example:

<script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(document).ready(function(){
    $( "form#Form_User_SignIn ul li:last" ).append( "To sign in without google, enter your user name or email and add a password, or ask to be sent a new password");
    });
    </script>