Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Trouble Enalbing/Disabling Plugins

fraxturefraxture
edited February 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi, I'm uanble to enable/disable plugins for some reason. When I click either enable or disable on a given plugin, I have to click twice for it to change status. Then, however, if I reload the page, the setting returns to its previous state. The config.php file is owned by my webserver user (www-data) and is readable. Very mysterious problem. Any ideas? I'm working on version 2.0.18.10.

Tagged:

Answers

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Open up your console (Ctrl + Shift + K in Firefox) and look for errors or activity when you click on the enable link.

The Network tab (Ctrl + Shift + Q) will let you inspect what exactly is submitted/received if the page is using AJAX calls.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Well that's not revealing that much. The only thing that is showing up in the console is this:

event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead. 

Also, what is particularly strange is after I click on the Enable button twice, the plugin appears to be enabled. However, when I then reload the page, it goes back to the way it was, and the count of enabled/disabled plugins returns to its previous count as well.

That warning is due to the older version of jQuery used. There is no issue with it.

What happens in the network tab the first time you click on the enable button.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Well, the page reloads so basically all the calls that load the page show up...

What plugins are currently enabled?

Search first

• I'm having exactly the same problem with 2.1.5. Have tried for hours to solve the problem.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Are you using PHP caching like APC or OpCache?
    Can you enable/disable other plugins or do you have problem with only one plugin?
    Can you change themes?
    Can you enable plugins by writing directly to the config?

• akinnaakinna New
    edited November 2014

No cashing, turned them off due to problems with Wordpress.
    The same goes for all plugins and applications. Firefox specified these problems:

getPreventDefault() is old stuff > should be defaultPrevented instead
    http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.2/jquery.min.js

Also huge problems concerning the css-file applications/dashboard/design/admin.css?v=2.1.5

E.g:
    -moz-box-shadow:
    -moz-border-radius:
    -moz-background-origin:padding;
    background:linear-gradient(top, #00346d, #014a8a);
    zoom: 1; /* hasLayout for IE6/7 */

• Could it be due to conflicts with Wordpress (using jQuery v1.11.1) in the same folder as Vanilla Forums (using jQuery v1.7.2)?

There should not be two versions of jQuery loaded. By the way: getPreventDefault is not used by Vanilla. Maybe that error is caused by those two libraries or some plugin uses the deprecated function.

• Thank you for your answers, R_J.

Actually it's a bit strange that Vanilla doesn't use the newest version of JQuery. Also, you should be able to embed it within Wordpress...

I think I'll go for the plugins. I will move them all from the server and then take them back one by one to see which of them that might cause the problem.

edited November 2014

Here's one post that gives you an idea how to not load jQuery with Vanilla any more: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/210958/#Comment_210958

• Thanks, but now that I have erased all plugins from the server, and put them back one by one, the problem is magically gone!

I suspect it has something to do with the Facebook and Twitter social connect, as these plugins still do not work in spite of correct API:s.

Also, something very strange has occured during the day: In visitor activities in Statcounter, I see several visits on a page that doesn't even exist: xxxxxxxx.com/js/count.js

So indeed it is somehow connected to JQuery!