Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Missing subcategories

DonaldHDonaldH New
edited February 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello

How can I change this page so that instead of showing discussions it shows subcategories instead? I have already nested the subcategories under this category in the "Organize Categories" section of the dashboard.

Many thanks

Comments

• have you tried these

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/categoryheadings-plugin
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/subcategories-plugin

the first one allows you to lock the parent category, and display categories as headings.

grep is your friend.

• Thank you for those links. Does this mean that the OS version of the Vanilla software does not facilitate nested subcategories without a plugin (except by accessing them through the list of categories under the side panel)? Because I can't see how else a user could access the subcategory. Thanks again for your help.

• In the side bar it does.

Nested categories are just an abstract concept. Nothing is really nested, it is relativism and ordering.

In 2.1 (the beta) it works like that. However this is the beta version, I recommend waiting.

grep is your friend.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited February 2014

Does this mean that the OS version of the Vanilla software does not facilitate nested subcategories

these config statements affect categories. also modified in dashboard.

for discussions in a category to be viewable they need to have view permission checked, if using custom category permissions under roles and permissions in dashboard.

you can also play around with these and see the effects. changing TRUE to FALSE and vice-versa.

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['MaxDisplayDepth'] = '2';
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = FALSE;
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['HideModule'] = FALSE;
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['Use'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['ShowTabs'] = TRUE;

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• DonaldHDonaldH New
    edited February 2014

Sorry, I have been searching for half an hour and I cannot find those config statements anywhere. Whereabouts will I find them?

EDIT: Oops nevermind, found them! For the benefit of anyone else who stumbles upon this thread, I found them at vanilla/conf/config.php

Thanks again to x00 and peregrine for your help.