Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Highlight Categories Containing New/Unread Content

Hi I use vanilla with the categories page as the homepage. How can I have categories containing unread content be highlighted for my community members? Any help with this will be much appreciated by me and my members. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

Categories with new content should have the Unread class. Use that knowledge to style it however you would like using CSS.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Sorry could you please be more specific as to what document I need to change and where and what to change it? Thanks it would be really helpful.

• Options

Also I have no idea where the CSS file is stored by vanilla.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@JonClink‌

css changes are made in the custom.css file.

If you are already using a custom theme, that will be in the custom theme's design folder (themes/customthemename/design).

If you are using the standard theme then you will need to create your own custom theme by following this:

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/A_Quick-Start_Guide_to_Creating_Themes

Your custom.css file only needs to contain the new rule(s) you want; everything else is handled by Vanilla.

• Options

Thanks guys. I found the file but what is the code that I use?

• Options

@JonClink‌

You're going to have to do a bit of reading!

This might help:

http://htmldog.com/guides/css/intermediate/classid/

• Options

I am trying to do a similar thing to the OP. My homepage is set to categories/all but every category is listed as read the class Unread never is never applied for some reason. Any ideas?

• Options
    edited June 2014

@Gary_Leeds‌

Vanilla version?

Theme?

Check in the custom.css file of your theme and see what, if any, rule there is for

.Item.Unread {
        background: 
    }

• Options
    edited June 2014

The version is 2.0.18.11, I have tried the default theme and the default embedfrendly theme.

The .Item.Unread is set in the css, that's not the issue, the forum is never assigning Unread class to the html of the categories, it's always 'Read'.

It works fine on posts inside categories just not on the list of categories on the home page.

Thanks.