Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Newbie Questions for Vanilla Forums

edited March 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello everyone,

I am an experienced developer but come here with very little experience using Vanilla Forums.

We've been testing Vanilla Forums out recently and have come to love what we're seeing here!

We'd like to begin building our support forums around Vanilla Forums.

I do have a few questions (sorry if they're already asked but some I didn't find and rather not re-invent the wheel if possible).

1.) Is the responsive theme Vanilla Forum Community uses available for download or purchase?

2.) I'm trying to determine the best approach for creating new "Discussion Status" tags (aka status').

For example, we can currently close a discussion and it's marked as "Closed" and is locked.

Nifty feature built in obviously for closing a discussion, but I'd like to do more with this.

Is there already an existing walk-through / tutorial, plugin, or etc., available that would explain how to achieve this?

Basically, I'm looking to create "Open, In Review, On Hold, Closed" and similar status tags.

Not afraid to get my hands dirty, but wanted to see if there's some direction out there already.

3.) Any good recommendations for someone serious about learning more about Vanilla Forums?

I come from a strong background of WordPress framework development, PHP, databases, frontend and open source.

Looking forward to any pointers or responses. Have a great day!

With respect,
Bryce, OWM.

Best Answers

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    Answer ✓

1.) Nope, it is not.

2.) I do not know of any plugin that does something similar, so you would have to look at vanillas source code to see how it is done (function close in /applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussioncontroller.php)

3.) If you are a developer and you know MVC frameworks, you will have no problem "understanding" Garden and you will love it ;-)
    But you will miss a streamlined documentation :-/
    There is the official documentation here and an unofficial wiki

A closed discussion is closed for comments. That's all the information that's enclosed in that status. I wouldn't recommend to break that structure which is known to every forum user. It seems as if you want to create some kind of issue tracker. There is a plugin for that: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/584-issue-tracker (I haven't tested it)

Answers

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    Answer ✓

1.) Nope, it is not.

2.) I do not know of any plugin that does something similar, so you would have to look at vanillas source code to see how it is done (function close in /applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussioncontroller.php)

3.) If you are a developer and you know MVC frameworks, you will have no problem "understanding" Garden and you will love it ;-)
    But you will miss a streamlined documentation :-/
    There is the official documentation here and an unofficial wiki

A closed discussion is closed for comments. That's all the information that's enclosed in that status. I wouldn't recommend to break that structure which is known to every forum user. It seems as if you want to create some kind of issue tracker. There is a plugin for that: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/584-issue-tracker (I haven't tested it)

• Hello @R_J,

Thanks for your response! It was extremely helpful.

I've been tinkering around with a new concept most of the day.

I must admit, I do miss a streamlined documentation.

Though this has been a fun learning experience.

The documentation for the "unofficial wiki" is great, thank you!

I've one more question if you don't mind my asking...

I am unable to find where the layout for the main discussions is?

For example, I've modified the "default" theme creating my own to suit my needs:

http://www.owmlabs.com/Vanilla/

The "MetaTags", I'd like to separate these for the purpose of styling.

For example, the top post on this example shows "Question" and "Announcement" tags.

I'd like them in the line beneath the other meta details being shown.

So instead of two lines, I've now 3 lines in the discussion div. A layout change.

Hope this makes sense. Might be in the wiki you shared but still making my way through it.

Kind regards,
    Bryce.

• Hello R_J,

I've no intentions of modifying the core files of Vanilla, but rather those inside my theme.

I'm just trying to modify the existing layout of the discussions threads.

Sorry that my explanation wasn't clear enough.

I've actually found an alternative to resolve my own question but I thank you for your help.