Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Problems with upgrade/installation of 2.0.18.10

Okay, so bear with me, because I'm not really sure I'm going to do an adequate job of describing what I'm doing.

So I've been following the instructions for an upgrade to a new version, as given here: http://vanillaforums.org/docs/installation-upgrade

After deleting the old version, I installed the new one into the same place, which is under /forum.

Then I marked the required files (and in the end, I just set the entire folder to 777 JUST IN CASE) as writable.

Then I went to the directory, and I get the setup page. Great! Seems to be going well. Only I get this: http://screencloud.net/v/gtwc

I have no idea. So I redownloaded it from the website, reuploaded it just in case. And I get the same error. What's going on?

One potentially related thing: In the previous version, the previous webdev had the FirstnameLastname plugin installed, but I can't imagine that would be affecting anything since I wiped out everything in the entire vanilla subdirectory. (The database is still there, of course, so it's possible.) I'm open to thoughts, though!

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@DanielleMcCool‌

Welcome to the community.

Which version of Vanilla are you upgrading from?

You shouldn't need to go to the setup page.

Normally, you drop in the new files, clear the ini files from cache, and you should be good to go.

• Options

Hey thanks!

I think I was actually already running the latest version, but some differences between what I should have in the dashboard, etc. made me think that some settings were incorrect, or that maybe some files hadn't been fully copied over when the last upgrade was done (I manage a site for a student society so every year there's a new webmaster). Since I migrated to a different server two days ago, I figured I should use this time to upgrade Vanilla as well.

I've tried to go back to my backup now, but it's also not working and it's throwing 404 errors at me. I tried to test whether or not it was due to the pretty URL/.htaccess misspecifiction, and at one point I was able to access the dashboard, but now that's also giving me an error, so I'm at a total loss at this point. How everything could go from working without issue to being unusable is beyond me.

The backup before the most recent also doesn't work.

is there usually anything other than changing the database configuration and deleting the .ini files from the cache that has to be done? 'Cause yeowch.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@DanielleMcCool‌

Not ordinarily, if you had a working system before.

Check that config.php has the correct db user name and password.

Alternatively, do a clean install of Vanilla, with a new DB (don't panic, it's just to get going!)

Then, when that is up and running, change config.php to point to your old DB, and delete the ini files from cache.

As long as you have your old DB, you should be able to restore your forum fairly easily.

Don't worry if you feel you have to ask more questions; it's always stressful when things go pear-shaped.

• Options

Well, that didn't work. The correct DB info is there -- and I'm certain it was working yesterday. My gut feeling is that it's something to do with the .htaccess file, especially since this morning I changed some things around to try to get everything going with the new SSL certificate.

Anyway, I've made a new database and I'm starting from a clean install. I have to say, it wouldn't be the end of the world for everything to be gone. The forums aren't really THAT interesting from a historic perspective. :\

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited March 2014

Just a note:

When upgrading your Vanilla installation, you also need to run /utility/update to apply any update scripts.

From the official documentation:

1. Create a Backup
    • Back up your database
    • Back up your uploads/ folder
    • Back up your conf/config.php
    1. Update your files
    • Upload your new version of Vanilla 2
    • Delete all the .ini files in your cache/ folder
    • Navigate to the page in your forum that updates your database: www.yourforum.com/utility/update (or www.yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update)
    1. Test

If you can't log in to your forum after upgrading, clear your cookies and restart your browser.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.