Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

In which table are the discussions stored?

I've been trying to recover from losing all of my discussions after a recent upgrade. I had what I thought was a complete backup of the database, but it seems to be lacking any entries in the GDN_UserDiscussion table, which is MAYBE where this stuff is supposed to be?

When I open my backup, the only table that seems to have the thread contents in it is GDN_Log. Is that correct? Or should it be in one of the other tables as well?

If everything's as it should be, I'm a little lost as to how I can regain the lost structure. It's not recognizing the previously existing categories, and that doesn't seem to be a configuration file thing, but rather something that it scans the database in order to get...? Anyway, I'm lost.

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@DanielleMcCool

The thread title and opening post is stored in GDN_Discussion, the comments are in GDN_Comment.

Have you got those tables?

• Options

The tables were empty.. I was able to restore an older backup (they were also empty in my "current" backup) and fixed the issue. :(

So much trouble! How does a table even get dropped like that? All I can figure is that I didn't select it when I exported it from the old database. Thanks for your help, @whu606

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@DanielleMcCool

Glad you got it sorted!

I'm not sure of your circumstances, but it pays to be careful if you are using sql to export and import, as I discovered to my cost...

By default (at least on my server) exporting tables includes a 'Drop Table' option.

I wanted to restore a single discussion, but because it contained a 'drop table', instead of merging into the existing discussions it over-wrote them.

That was fun...

To avoid that, I have to choose 'Custom' export, rather than 'Quick', and untick the

Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION / EVENT statement

• Options

That is great to know... no doubt I did something like that. Anyway, next time I'l check to see if it's dropping all my tables first. :)