Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

reCaptcha help - once and for all

i've searched but i'm really having a problem trying to find the exact and best way to add reCaptcha on the registration page for 2.0.18.10. we're getting hammered by almost 500 new users per week. application management is becoming impossible.

your guidance is greatly appropriated.

Comments

• Options

I'd suggest registration restrict logger plugin, and applicant approval process. It may be more effective than reCaptcha.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/199731/#Comment_199731

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    gtrongtron New
    edited April 2014

thank you very much for your reply. we still want recaptcha and that is why the title of this thread says reCaptcha help rather than "help me stop spam" or "what plugin should i use for bots". i probably shouldn't have added the bit about getting hammered because it distracts people from what i'm directly asking for. thanks again though.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

you could try this. I haven't tested with recaptcha. it may work. I added recaptcharegistration but haven't tested, I only tested with application approval non-recaptcha.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/botstopapproval-plugin

(you would need to disable original botstop plugin if you use this one.)

I have no idea if it works for sso, it very well may not work. it may help others, if it doesn't work for you.

good luck, and sorry for the distraction, if it doesn't work.

back to original question: carry on

i've searched but i'm really having a problem trying to find the exact and best way to add reCaptcha on the registration page for 2.0.18.10

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

It is very simple to add recaptcha. It involves a simple paste of the number key you get from google recaptcha link. It gives you the instructions .

https://www.google.com/recaptcha

Once you sign up your site copy the number key and paste it in the dashboard in the spot for it in the Registration pane. Select Basic Registration and the field for entering the number appears.

• Options
    gtrongtron New
    edited April 2014

thank you for the replies.

oh, @vrithat that seems to be the problem. we need to approve every applicant and have recaptcha. that is not possible?

• Options

That is what the plugin peregrine just made, it has a type of captcha that really works well for bots.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/botstopapproval-plugin

• Options

i'm not sure why this is so difficult.

• Options

What is so difficult ?

you download the plugin I mentioned and you select approval then enable the plugin, go to the plugin settings to enter the one you want.

Difficult is when you would have to edit the code and add forms and save settings.. these are pre made for you.

• Options

v said:

What is so difficult ?

he already said he didn't want to use the other plugins.

gtron said:
    thank you very much for your reply. we still want recaptcha and that is why the title of this thread says reCaptcha help rather than "help me stop spam" or "what plugin should i use for bots

@vrijvlinder
    you can lead a horse to water but not make them drink. why force or persuade somebody to do what they don't want to do. You can make suggestions, they can choose to ignore them.

• Options

Yes, I believe the correct saying is " You can lead a Horse to water but you can't make them think" ...

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

Yes, I believe the correct saying is " You can lead a Horse to water but you can't make them think" ...

RE-think..

• Options

No the fish one does not work at all. unless you are leading it while it is in a fishbowl...

The true saying should be "Life is no more difficult than the difficulty you are unwilling to face"

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold.
    Mark Twain

The man with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.
    Mark Twain

Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.
    Mark Twain

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

You can't depend on your judgment when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

EDIT: Fish quote removed :)

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
    Mark Twain 

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. Friedrich August von Hayek

The greater the difficulty, the greater the glory. Marcus Tullius Cicero

• Options
    edited April 2014

No, but you can fool a fool into thinking it is gold... vrijvlinder

and yes I know its not the recommended version. But I like that version better...my version ;)

On crank you can succeed to work nonstop without sleep...

Get a one story flat , avoid stairs...

Back off the whisky if you want to stop seeing things that are not there...

Just Back off...

(I still have 54 minutes to edit give me all you got)

You can give a person a fish and they can eat sushi for 20 minutes, Show the person how to fish and they can open a sushi bar....

• Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options

This one goes with the think re think adage

• Options

thanks for thread jacking.

i just wanted repatcha on the registration page and the ability to approve applicants rather than one or the other.

i will avoid asking for assistance on here in the future as it's obviously more than some can handle.

enjoy your water.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@gtron said:

By now, Vanillas standard registration methods couldn't be combined out of the box. That's a fact and that's why you have to use/create a plugin.
    My personnel opinion is, that this should be changed, but by now, you have to deal with what you have been offered.

There is no recaptcha plugin because recaptcha is already implemented. If you want to use this feature, you could start with the botstop plugin and the recaptcha link: you would have to modify that plugin. If you have ever coded something before, you will find that Vanilla offers a lot of help and the effort to get your plugin is not so bis as you might think in the first place.

You could also study /applications/dashboard/controllers/class.entrycontroller.php and see if you can work with that file ("work" in the sense of learning, not changing!). If you set your registration mode to recaptcha, you could create a plugin that mimics private function RegisterApproval(). This code must be in a function of your plugin: EntryController_RegistrationSuccessful_Handler($Sender).

Try to start your own solution and come back if you have problems. As I said above: there is no ready made solution for your needs but creating one is not as hard as one might think.

• Options
    edited April 2014

They were explained this @R_J .

They strictly want to be able to use google recaptcha with approval registration.

Peregrine made a plugin for them specifically for this.... they don't want any other captcha they want google recaptcha with approval.

They don't want to find another solution or make a plugin... that is more difficult than uploading a plugin already made for this . Which apparently is difficult to do already..

The adage is true ... you can only do so much and even if you do a good thing people expect you to do more and then they still don't want what you offer...