HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

@brainache or vanilla staff.

@brainache  - author of original botstop

or vanilla staff.

if this is an infringement on the original botstop plugin, and you want to remove it. please do so.

since the original botstop had no method for registration approval. I added registration approval with two alternating questions and a random number.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Here is a neat icon I made it for the original but it was not used...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

added icon. thanks.

if this plugin WORKS FOR YOU - please specify the version of vanilla you use with it. to help others decide if they want to use it. thx.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited April 2014

Is This is for Approval registration of Applicants Only ? lol

I think This is for Approval registration of Applicants Only ...

Must be for... Approval registration of Applicants Only ...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

ok. point made. this plugin is for the option in registration - Approval (without Captcha)

BUT....

it may also work with Captcha - but I am awaiting feedback from coherent and capable testers.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@vrijvlinder: I love your robots!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

boy, what nice robots she has :)

I was going to use the little blue one you liked RJ but he was too cute ... I made this one over a year ago but the author never returned . I am just glad peregrine made this plugin for my icon so it could have a home.... :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

to re-iterate:

if this plugin WORKS FOR YOU - please specify the version of vanilla you use with it. to help others decide if they want to use it. thx.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited April 2014

@peregrine‌

I'll upgrade to 2.1.3 beta over the weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your efforts.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

We really need to add a license selector. :/

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

perhaps.

• I think having a LICENSE.md or license.markdown or LICENSE.txt, etc should be sufficient.

Otherwise you can ask the person.

The gold standard, is no matter what a software does in terms of aiding development, nothing can automate adding licenses without them having read it first, this has to be a conscious effort IMO.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited April 2014

@x00 Not automate, no, but forcing them to select one in order to be listed in the addons directory is fair, I think. This sort of ambiguity ("here's some code that technically no one knows if they're allowed to use or change") hurts us all.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2014

The ambiguity around licensing discretion and GPL side effects, prevented me from licensing properly in the first, place, and now I'm slowly working through making mostly MIT, but may do my own professional OS licenses too.

What does select one mean? Can you choose you license? Or is the choice strictly limited?

I think public domain should be an option, I know this doesn't have legal status in many countries, but it should be an option nevertheless.

grep is your friend.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Don't know if that would be enough, but what if the plugin upload screen would include something like "LEGAL NOTE: if no license is explicitly specified in the uploaded file, your code will published under the GPLv2 license" or "By uploading you agree that if no license is given, your plugin will be published under the GPLv2 license".

All that would be left would be a conditional additional info on the plugin description page: `if (upload date >= date-of-when-you-changed-the-upload-text) {echo "If no different license is specified, that plugin inherits GPLv2 from Vanilla";}

Something like that would be the most comfortable solution for everyone who doesn't care about licenses. And passing on the Vanilla license to those plugins is common sense.

• I don't think defaulting to GPL, is a good solution for those "that don't care" about licensing. For one GPL is one of the more complex ideologically driven licenses, you better read it, and understand it. If it is appropriate for you then fain enough. But Like I said you should never license blindly.

I think asking people to provide licensing information, is reasonable.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

It will likely be an enforced list of options, not an open-ended question. I don't care if you want to invent a new license, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say you have limited options if you want to distribute it the main directory for simplicity's sake - you shouldn't need to read legal documents anew to download a plugin from here. I think WordPress requires they all be GPL2+. I'd also add options like MIT, BSD, and a few other standards.

• that is your choice, there are also a wealth of OS licenses out there

in github the most popular OS licenses

http://ostatic.com/blog/the-top-licenses-on-github

grep is your friend.

Does it count is the license info is in the about.php or default.php of a plugin or theme?

Or does it need to be in it's own file ? What is preferable ? Does it matter ?