HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Anybody have a forum? few quick questions.

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited April 2014 in Feedback

what version of sql are you using on your forum?

even if you don't know the answers to questions below - could you perhaps state what version of sql your site is running.

bonus points if you can answer any questions below.

the reason I ask these questions is because after a while the server bogs down and server resources are high as reported by the host provider.

• do you use a robots.txt? is it unusual for googlebot and bingbot to make 40% of the the page requests.
  • did you tune sql parameters? if so, what

• got any suggestions - where to look?

Figures in parentheses refer to the 7-day period

Average successful requests per day: 40,075 (55,559)
Successful requests for pages: 614,890 (85,963)
Average successful requests for pages per day: 7,162 (12,280)
Failed requests: 42,944 (670)
Redirected requests: 61,973 (1,058)

here is a sample of show status.

anyone see issues or does something look odd?

aside from aborted clients and aborted connections

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• one more note. certainly somebody out there is capable of finding out what version of sql they are using and posting it? ya think.

I was just wondering if more people are using 5.1.x or 5.5.x or some other version of mysql.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

We use MySQL 5.5 (or 5.6, I don't remember for sure), with default settings. Everything smooth so far.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited April 2014

Are you using InnoDB tables? That's fairly crucial. Also, default search will not go well on a very large site; you have to be using Sphinx for that. In terms of performance optimizations, in broad strokes the next to look at would be memcached and APC, then Varnish.

For what it's worth, I don't think the difference between 5.1 and 5.5 matters much. I just switched to 5.5 not long ago; didn't notice a substantive difference on my medium-sized sites.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

thanks for the ideas Businessdad and Lincoln

it is a

2.1b2 installation. the standard innodb tables,

at this point no apc memcache or varnish..

these are the innodb tables.

GDN_ActivityComment
    GDN_AnalyticsLocal
    GDN_Ban
    GDN_Log
    GDN_Media
    GDN_Session
    GDN_Spammer
    GDN_Tag
    GDN_TagDiscussion
    GDN_UserCategory
    GDN_UserMerge
    GDN_UserMergeItem
    GDN_UserPoints

everything else is ISAM

thanks. its not really that the site is slow. most of the time it is fast, until it becomes totally unusable at infrequent intervals. might be ok for a few days and then it poops out.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I recommend checking MySQL for what queries are running when that happens.