Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

UnreadDiscussion by Luc Doesn't work with 2.1 (alternative inside)*

yroarkyroark New
edited May 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Anyone know of a good alternative to http://vanillaforums.org/addon/unreaddiscussion-plugin the current iteration doesn't work with Vanilla 2.1 and my users specifically requested this functionality.
In essence the plugin let users display only threads that had posts which they had not yet read.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Options

Any plan on updating this plugin? I used it on my forums and it worked great. Sadly it doesn't appear to be compatible with Vanilla 2.1.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited May 2014

@vrijlinder What's different?

Has anyone pinged @luc?

In general, I'd like to avoid random addons kicking around in discussions forever. If there's a good fix, let's get it in the directory correctly.

• Options

@Linc said:
    vrijlinder What's different?

It had &$Senders all over, just changed the version number to tell them apart

Has anyone pinged luc?

Yea this is a duplicate discussion he posted one under the add-on. I am sure he got notified through that.

In general, I'd like to avoid random addons kicking around in discussions forever. If there's a good fix, let's get it in the directory correctly.

Good idea, I was hoping they would report back if it worked for them while luc gets to it.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

The 'unread' method is in core now, so duplicating that functionality another way doesn't make much sense. Maybe it's time to retire this one?

• Options

I was thinking the same thing, I was looking at it like , this is redundant but figured they had a special use. It's from 2011 I think it can go beddy bye .. it's your call

• Options

@Linc said:
    The 'unread' method is in core now, so duplicating that functionality another way doesn't make much sense. Maybe it's time to retire this one?

Didn't realize it was baked in now. The main reason I liked the plugin was it provided a simple button on the menu that would show the user all unread discussions. Is there a similar functionality in 2.1 that I'm just blindly missing?? thanks for the quick responses.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

http://vanillaforums.org/discussions/unread

you could add a similar link via your theme templates (with your forum url of course).

I think the unread plugin is slightly different though.

perhaps lincoln is confusing my OnlyRead plugin (which I had removed since it was tough on performance and duplicated in 2.1).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I was just about to post that I had gotten my plugins confused. With Peregrine's OnlyRead plugin. That said Peregrine's response should get me to where I need to go!
    Thanks for the help everyone, sorry for the confusion.

• Options
    DoyceTDoyceT Model Questioner ✭✭✭

@vrijvlinder said:
    Try this and tell me if it works for you

This 1.1 version of the plugin you attached works for me.

The ability to mark a 'read' discussion as unread is pretty valuable and isn't (as far as I can tell) baked into 2.1, so I think updating the plugin to vrijvlinders version is worthwhile, rather than retiring it.