Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How did you make the Vanilla Addon theme/application?

edited May 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello! I really like the integrated Addon and Community websites here at Vanilla! I am making an open source library application for keeping track of research on various topics, referenced in required formats (the dreaded research paper formatted references) that users can then share with each other, allowing others to benefit from their research collections on topics from Parkinson's to home energy inspections.

I would like to create an Addons (or in my case Libraries) section for my Vanilla forum, where users can tell others about their libraries and field questions, comments, etc. like in your Addons section.

My skill level is beginner, but I'm willing to hack! I searched but couldn't find information about how your cool Addon site was created. It looks like each Addon is its own forum, with its own Discussion and Question posts, and comment threads attached to each of these? It is a very useful architecture for sharing and evaluating contributions. Does the Addon and Community section at Vanilla require only one login, or are these two separately themed installs of Vanilla that share a common login? Is their a search pluggin that supports check boxes for finding required tags in posts like theme, pluggin, etc.?

Because of the potential size of libraries (which can contain folders of actual CC licensed content (TED TALKS!), I'm looking to have my Addon Site users provide links to their libraries, rather than upload them to my site. So I think that simplifies things some. Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

It has been available on GitHub, but that has changed recently: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/207755/#Comment_207755

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited May 2014

You can find an older version of the Addons application on GitHub at: https://github.com/vanillaforums/VanillaAddonsApp

It hooks into Vanilla and uses the same forum for discussions and comments. It also has a simple search method. The logins will be the same across Vanilla and the addons app.

EDIT - Cross posted.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Wow! Thanks so much for the quick replies!

I just looked briefly at these links and I don't see an install readme, but I'm assuming because it is an actual application (how cool is that!) that I just zip it from GitHub and then upload and extract it into my applications folder?

• Options

@virtualdavid said:
    I just looked briefly at these links and I don't see an install readme, but I'm assuming because it is an actual application (how cool is that!) that I just zip it from GitHub and then upload and extract it into my applications folder?

That should do it. :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Just tried uploading it. Got as far as turning it on :D in my Vanilla 2.1 applications section, then Opps it failed :o . Given endless hours and zero dollars, how long might it take a beginning hacker to figure out what is causing this Opps? I noticed it is in now a private repository thanks to R_J http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/207755/#Comment_207755. Would it be Kosher to reply to that thread asking for a GitHub refresh of the 2.1 compatible version?

• Options

I got it up and running a couple months ago on a 2.1 beta release, IIRC.

What does your /applications folder structure look like?

Search first

• Options

Just gotta say, this Addon application seems like a Vanilla type of cool forum direction, where multiple mini forums can mine the same data, getting even more bang out of the same content!

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    I got it up and running a couple months ago on a 2.1 beta release, IIRC.

What does your /applications folder structure look like?

Like this (also attached screen shot):

Conversations An improvement upon existing private messaging tools, Conversations allows multiple users to take part in private conversations.
    Disable Version 2.1|By Mark O'Sullivan|Visit Site

Vanilla Vanilla is the sweetest discussion forum on the web.
    Disable Version 2.1|By Mark O'Sullivan|Visit Site

Vanilla Forums Addons The addon management tool for VanillaForums.org.
    Disable Version 1.0.3|By Mark O'Sullivan

• Options

I was referring to the actual folder structure, but no matter.

This looks enabled. What is the issue?

Search first

• Options
    edited May 2014

Not sure. Here is the message when I clicked "visit site":

Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
    Please check back in a little while.

And is this the folder structure you where asking for (thanks for being patient and helping me get more of clue!):

• Options

You need to enable debugging to get the real error message. Add $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; to your /conf/config.php file.

You should rename the folder VanillaAddonsApp-master to addons.

Search first

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    You need to enable debugging to get the real error message. Add $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; to your /conf/config.php file.

You should rename the folder VanillaAddonsApp-master to addons.

BAM! Renaming fixed it! Tried it first in a fresh install with standard plugins and then mine, and it works in both!

• Options
    edited May 2014

So... Now that it is working B) , how do I get it to show up on my site? Is there a {hook} I need to add to my theme template? It doesn't seem to have it's own .tlp file. (I'll add a readme pull request to the GitHub version detailing this basic stuff, when I've got it working.)

• Options
    edited May 2014

Never mind! Just looked at how Vanilla does it and (duh) you just add a /addon (but not /addons) to your vanilla forum url (so mysite.org/forum/addon) and there it is! Very cool!

I'll write up a readme as soon as I finish configuring my new addons forum section! Thanks so much

and

For your invaluable assistance and really quick replies! Cheers!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

you probably just need to add a link http://thenameyourforum.org/addon to the menu.

either via add menu item plugin

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/addmenuitem-plugin

or modfiying the default.master.tpl in your theme views folder (or modifying the default.master.php if you have one)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.