Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to remove username validation?

Vanilla Forums won't allow Asian characters to be part of a username.

How can I remove this restriction/validation?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited June 2014

Welcome to the community!

You can change the validation regular expression by adding the following to your /conf/config.php file.

$Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationRegex] = '\p{L}';

Change the right side to what ever you would like.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited June 2014

Add this in the /conf/config.php file (replace the right side to the following if the setting already exists):

$Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationRegex'] = '\\d\\w_\\x{0800}-\\x{9fa5}';

This allows alphanumeric input, underscores, and Chinese characters for registration.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Thank you for the quick response. Problem solved. :D

@Shadowdare said:
    Add this in the /conf/config.php file (replace the right side to the following if the setting already exists):

$Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationRegex'] = '\\d\\w_\\x{0800}-\\x{9fa5}';

This allows alphanumeric input, underscores, and Chinese characters for registration.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I guess you might face another problem soon: @mentions not working with all user name. Before you ask, I'd like to point you to the only universally useful addon I've ever written http://vanillaforums.org/addon/mentionsplus-plugin

• Thanks for the reminder, R_J. @mentions now works like a breeze.