Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla 2.1 - Ubuntu - Blank Screen on first load (instead of setup)

When installing Vanilla 2.1 on Ubuntu recently, I was greeted with a completely blank (empty) page, rather than the setup screen. Although I've managed to solve this (and it was simple enough), I couldn't find the answer online readily, so am posting it here incase it's useful to someone else!

tail /var/log/apache2/error.log

Showed me that the problem was that 'json_decode' was not defined - this is because in Ubuntu (and potentially other distributions), the JSON functionality is in a separate package and must be installed explicitly.

apt-get install php5-json
service apache2 restart

Reload page - and voila, setup appears!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

For future reference, enabling debug mode will display the actual error rather than a blank page or the "something has gone wrong" page.

You can enable debugging by adding $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; to your /conf/config.php file.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

@mattchatterley said:
    When installing Vanilla 2.1 on Ubuntu recently, I was greeted with a completely blank (empty) page, rather than the setup screen. Although I've managed to solve this (and it was simple enough), I couldn't find the answer online readily, so am posting it here incase it's useful to someone else!

tail /var/log/apache2/error.log

Showed me that the problem was that 'json_decode' was not defined - this is because in Ubuntu (and potentially other distributions), the JSON functionality is in a separate package and must be installed explicitly.

apt-get install php5-json
    service apache2 restart

Reload page - and voila, setup appears!

nice find.

there should be a list of needed dependencies for php in the vanilla instructions.

I usually add my notes here: so it might help other people, you might as well - it might be easier to read for people who take the time and read the installation thread instead of going about things blindly.
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/199091/#Comment_199091

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@hgtonight Thanks! I either couldn't find or missed that - noted for future reference (and maybe this thread will help the next person find it)! :)

• Options

@peregrine I've added a comment to that thread (albeit a briefer version of this!) - thank you :)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

thx.

actually, i posted the wrong link, i meant here on the installation thread, which they are more likely to read (or not). but the "adept" discussion is probably not a bad idea either.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26685/vanilla-2-1-stable-released

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Have posted it to there too :)