Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Site down after migrating to new server

Hi Guys,
Has anyone experienced how to bring your forum back online after migrating to a new server? I migrated my WP site with imbedded vanilla forum and the site is working fine but the forum is down. This is the browser error I am getting: (Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.)
heres what I did:
1.moved the file folder/s to new server
2. uploaded the new DB both DB's
3. I also edited the WP-config
4. 4.added a new user.

The forum is having issues locating the DB. What I can tell you is this, before I migrated my url was this (mysite.com/expat-forum) After migration it somehow fucked up the forum link to read this (mysite.com/expat-forum index.php?p=/entry/jsconnect&client_id=447201574&Target=%2F') My guess is this is why it cant get to the page or DB. Does someone know more about what I should do?

Comments

• Options

PS>> yes I pointed the new host to the domain on the new server

• Options

Second question, do I just need to over-ride/ edit the link? How do I do this on vanilla forum?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

clear your .ini files.

take a good look at your .htaccess files. you probably have a loop of some kind.

can you get to your forum without embedding?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@jens1seo said:

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete

That is an infinite loop. Did you fiddle with jsconnect after you moved the site?

I would think about setting up the forum on the new host as a complete new setup. All that's different from the old host is the theme, right?

So now you have WordPress on the new host. Now you set up the Vanilla 2.1 new install on the new host and connect it through jsconnect (why Embed?)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

@peregrine -No I can not get into the forum at all I'm getting a WSOD
    @UnderDog- No I did not mess with JS connect.....ahh,, I did not know I needed a fresh install of vanilla on the new server. So you mean to say moving it over via ftp is not going to work?

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@jens1seo‌

Certainly, if I was going to move to a new server, I would make a fresh Vanilla install, and only look to bring over my database, custon theme (if any) and my uploads (and plugins if it is thesame version of Vanilla as the old one).

Once the fresh install is working, point it to your 'old' database via config.php, and clear the ini files in cache.

That should do it for you.

• Options

sounds like whu606 and underdog had excellent ideas to me.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@whu606 You guys rock, thanks this should do the trick.