Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Renaming "Child Categories" to "Subcategories"

I run a community that is geared towards adults. We have Vanilla installed and our categories are organized how we need them, but the "Child Categories" wording feels odd to see on the site. It appears as if it is a section for children. Is there a way to change "Child Categories" to "Subcategories" or similar?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    zenniferzennifer New
    edited June 2014

Thanks so much for your reply. I followed all of the instructions on the link you attached, but somehow the word "Child Categories" is not changing. My code is:

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit(); $Definition['Child Categories:'] = "Subcategories";

But on the site I see "Child Categories" (see attachment). I cleared the cache .ini file as well as the cache in my browser.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

what is the name of the file you placed it in. and what folder is it located in.

and what page are you looking at. It changes on the Categories page for me.

post the contents of

cache/locale_map.ini

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I created a locale.php file and placed it in the conf folder.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

post the contents of

cache/locale_map.ini

and does /conf/locale.php have read permissions?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    zenniferzennifer New
    edited June 2014

[en-CA] 0 = "/home/rthejfoc/public_html/obpi-community.com/applications/dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php" 1 = "/home/rthejfoc/public_html/obpi-community.com/applications/conversations/locale/en-CA/definitions.php" 2 = "/home/rthejfoc/public_html/obpi-community.com/applications/vanilla/locale/en-CA/definitions.php" 3 = "/home/rthejfoc/public_html/obpi-community.com/conf/locale.php"

The permissions on locale.php are as follows:

• Options

it looks like its reading the locale.php fine.

and your locale.php looks good.

do you have a link to the page in question.

try adding as a test...

$Definition['Howdy, Stranger!'] = "Greetings, Stranger!";

to the /conf/locale.php

and see if the box changes when you are not logged in.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

to

Greetings, Stranger!
    It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

• Options
    zenniferzennifer New
    edited June 2014

I changed Howdy to Greetings and that did work. I have temporarily changed the permissions on my site so you can see the "Child Categories" in question. My guess now is that it is coming from a different definition?

You can view the site at -link-removed-.

• Options

I can;t tell what url you are going to with your image.

post a link to your site and that page. with the brachial stuff.

• Options
    zenniferzennifer New
    edited June 2014

You can see it directly on the page at -link removed-. The phrase "Child Categories" can be seen under Canada and the United States (where subcategories of states are listed)

• Options

Bingo!

I want to change all occurrences of "Child Categories" so I assume I should keep

$Definition['Child Categories:'] = "Subcategories";

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

I would keep them both.

• Options
    zenniferzennifer New
    edited June 2014

Thanks so much for all your help, but it doesn't seem like I can edit the earlier posts anymore. 15 minutes has passed.