Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Upgrading issues, 2.0.18.10 - 2.1

PS_DiRtYPS_DiRtY New
edited June 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm trying to upgrade from Vanilla 2.0.18.10 to 2.1 stable. I disabled all plugins prior to upgrading.
I followed these instructions exactly.

When I try to complete the last step and run the update utility I keep getting this: http://www.screencast.com/t/dZE5PS79RY
I tried it several times to no avail. Restored my old version, then tried everything again. Same issue.

I restored back to the original version again. Upgraded to 2.0.18.11 without any issues.
Tried going from 2.0.18.11 to 2.1 and encountered the same issue. Restored back to the original.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

delete the ini files in cache folder.

make sure your .htaccess is correct. double and triple check. RewriteBase /vanilla or where forum is located.
    and temporarily turn off re-write urls. prior to upgrading.
    $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

@vrijvlinder discovered the above workaround and it helped her. it may work for you. I couldn't replicate problem or the above fix.

what version of php are you using?

you could try this (substituting version numbers in the instructions with these) 2.0.18 and 2.1

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24793/yet-another-vanilla-upgrade-and-duplication-tutorial

also besides following the install instructions some tips here:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/208595/#Comment_208595

and here

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/199091/#Comment_199091

also do you get an error if you run /utility/structure.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Cleared the cache files, .htaccess was correct, and tried upgrading with the re-write urls off and the same problem persists.

I am using php 5.2.17

No errors when I run /utility/structure/

I'm starting to get desperate so I may try the duplication if I don't figure something out soon.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

you may wnat to upgrade to php 5.3 and see if that helps. some of the staff developed plugins won;t work with 5.2 anyway. and 5.3 and higher adds alot more functionality.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Upgraded, same error.

• Ok, when I go to my profile it says, "Not Verified" under my username. Any idea if this could be causing the issue?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

does vanilla work with 2.1 even though you get failure when running update?

probably the best is to create a test 2.1. don't add any plugins and run/utility/update on the test to see if you get errors.

then import via phpmyadmin your database into test install and clear cache folders see if you get errors

and run utility/update again on test version.

I would also go over permissions of folders and conf and conf files with a finetooth comb. kinda hard to know what the problems is. I can't replicate your problem.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited June 2014

@PS_DiRtY said:
    Ok, when I go to my profile it says, "Not Verified" under my username. Any idea if this could be causing the issue?

No that's not the issue, it will be a structure / file / permissions problem. Since you already disabled minify, let's do the following.

First : Make a backup of your current situation. The exact files and the exact MySQL DataBase. Write down the MySQL version. Write down the PHP 5.3 version.

Now you need to do some debugging.

Open /applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php

Find public function Update() { (line 344 in my editor)

Find the second Try/Catch block (line 370-377)

Do an echo in the "try" block and in the "catch exception" block. My fellow forum guys will show up with a better debugging echo, like decho or echo_debug or some nice function. Use that function instead.

I really really hope that you'll get the echo in the "catch" block, so that you'll have an exception to work with.

You might want to turn on the debugging view : $Configuration['Debug'] = true; in conf/config.php, but the first steps is more fun anyway. Good luck

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• PS_DiRtYPS_DiRtY New
    edited June 2014

@‌ It does function, but not correctly. I can't do things like edit or delete comments. It's really buggy.

I will get into the debugging and get back to you guys. Thanks for all the help.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

did you migrate from a different forum software before using porter.

If so, I think there is a problem in the permission table that is biting you in the rear-end

how did you import your database?

also check permissions on /conf and config.php

• PS_DiRtYPS_DiRtY New
    edited June 2014

Wasn't an import. It was a clean install of 2.0.18.8, upgraded to 2.0.18.10 a while back.

• also check permissions on /conf and config.php

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

underdog's idea will get you to the root of the problem, if you can figure it out.

doing a new test install may or may not be be quicker, however.

if you do make a test install. and it works initially before importing. Add all the categories and roles to mimic your old vanilla forum. then test a little.

step a - then back up the permissions table and role table of the newly installed test version.

then import your exported 2.18 database (making sure the import drops tables first prior to importing).

if you still have a problem drop the permissions and role tables, and then import the ones from Step a.

what is the host server OS?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

one other thought is to backup locally all your plugins in the plugin folder. and all your themes in the theme folder. and then delete the plugins folder and the themes folder entirely. and then copy just the plugins and themes from the vanilla 2.1 source. Perhaps something in an old plugin or theme is causing a problem (even though it is not enabled) or and then try utility/update.

don't give up, you will find a way.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

so @linc what can cause "Failure". when running /utility/update.

A number of people have this issue, but there seems to be not much of a clue as to the cause.

I guess he's still coming up with reasons :)

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited June 2014

I can come up with theories as to what it can be and to avoid a failure:

Disable ALL plugins and set the theme to default.

Ftp folder by folder not the entire thing at once. Some files do not get copied over.If necessary repeat the upload to make sure.

Delete the default.master.php from the applications/dashboard/views

Check the htaccess file that it is correct and uncommented--- > RewriteBase/ not #RewriteBase/ apparently the htaccess file is a hidden file and overwrites your original one.

Delete all the ini files from the cache and also the files inside the Smarty/compile

Make sure the config.php has the correct version number it does not get changed when it is an update. The config.php gets generated only in new installs.

Check the config.php for serialized data like for the module and menu sort. 2.1 does not serialize form option values and it can cause a failure if you have those values saved in the config.php this is what serialized data looks like a:5:{i:3;s:1:"0";i:4;s:1:"0";i:8;s:1:"0";i:16;s:1:"0";i:32;s:1:"0";}';

Remove from the config.php any saved settings for plugins or sorting which appear serialized. When you re enable the plugins and re set the settings for them they will be saved in the proper format.

Run utility/structure to fix the database at least twice or until no changes are needed.

Run utility/update , should be success if all the above were followed.

Also the System bot does not get generated in some cases where user ID 2 is taken or is a deleted user.

• @peregrine said:
    one other thought is to backup locally all your plugins in the plugin folder. and all your themes in the theme folder. and then delete the plugins folder and the themes folder entirely. and then copy just the plugins and themes from the vanilla 2.1 source. Perhaps something in an old plugin or theme is causing a problem (even though it is not enabled) or and then try utility/update.

This did it. Thank you sooooooooo much. Deleted the plugins and themes folders and it fixed everything.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

@PS_DiRtY said:

@peregrine said: one other thought is to backup locally all your plugins in the plugin folder. and all your themes in the theme folder. and then delete the plugins folder and the themes folder entirely. and then copy just the plugins and themes from the vanilla 2.1 source. Perhaps something in an old plugin or theme is causing a problem (even though it is not enabled) or and then try utility/update.

This did it. Thank you sooooooooo much. Deleted the plugins and themes folders and it fixed everything.

@PS_DiRtY thx for testing hypothesis and providing evidence

-so an old or corrupted theme in the themes folder
    -or an old or corrupted plugin in the plugins folder
    -even though it is disabled can cause Failure.

tip to take away from this is if you have a Failure when you run /utility/update during an upgrade.

• disable all you plugins via dashboard (or if you cant do this remove all but the 'HtmLawed EnabledPlugins line in the cofig.php)

don't touch this one - leave it. $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = 'HtmLawed';
    anything else that is NOT $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] you should delete.
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins'] you can delete.

• zip up your plugin and theme folders and save them locally in case you want to looka t them later.
    • delete the plugin and them folders.
    • re-copy the plugin and theme folders from the downloaded zip.
    • get new plugins and themes from the add-ons or github
    • if necessary.

• PS_DiRtYPS_DiRtY New
    edited June 2014

@peregrine said:
    so an old or corrupted theme in the themes folder

OR

or an old or corrupted plugin in the plugins folder

even though it is disabled can cause Failure.

thx for testing hypothesis and providing evidence

. PS_DiRtY

No problem, thanks again for all the help. You guys are awesome around here.

• @vrijvlinder knows someone who could use this tip maybe :).