Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Plugin Interactions & 2.1 Compatibility?

Well, a member in my forum mentioned he is missing a "Like" button, so I took a look and stumbled over this plugin with references to other plugins. As far as I understand this plugin interacts with the following other plugins?

Considering Badges and the first four in the list (without Karma), does this all fit well together and run on Vanilla 2.1?

I don't want to overburden my forum members by offering them too much distraction, and at first I thought "Thanks" and "I Like This" would be enough, but badges seem to be a nice idea as well, tough I am confused about a possible overlap between Peregrine Badges 4.4 and Yet Another Gamification Application 0.5 because they both deal with badges?

Maybe someone can give me some hints on which of the mentioned plugins make sense to install and use together.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014
    • peregrine badges was written before yaga and awards and was the first open-source vanilla code to mimic the vanilla forums proprietary plugin to stop the endless complaining for a much-needed open-source badge system. and works in both vanilla 2.0.18.x and 2.1

• it purely gives badges - does not require a user to make any settings changes and badges work out of the box. You can change icons manually.

• peregrine reactions was written before yaga and was the first open-source vanilla code to mimic the vanilla forums proprietary plugin and integrates with peregrine badges. Peregrine reactions also works out of the box without any configuration changes. Both are lightweight and don't store alot of data, nor do they write to the activity table. PR requires vanilla 2.1

• Both are simple in that they don't require users to make and change things in settings.

• The downside - Both Peregrine Reactions and Peregrine badges are not easily modifiiable (except for text). And I will not be adding any features to either plugin (due to lack of monetary donations). either you like them as they are, or you don't..

• If you are looking for features and flexibility -

Yaga as well as Awards plugins have much more flexibility.

• If you are using Yaga, i can't fathom a reason to use any of the other plugins. just duplicates things.

• Peregrine Badges is good for vanilla 2.0.18.x users because Yaga requires 2.1 and Peregrine Reactions also require Vanilla 2.1.

• I think awards also works in 2.0.18.x

• You may use Peregrine Badges and/or Peregrine Reactions if you are satisfied with them out of the box and don't need enhancements or changes.

• Peregrine Badges is good for vanilla 2.0.18.x users because Yaga requires 2.1

• Use Yaga if you want lots of flexibility and want to add things thru settings, and if you use Yaga there would be no real need to use any of the other plugins you mentioned, unless they did something very specific that yaga doesn't do.

I am not too familiar with Karma, Kudos, I like this, and thankful people to give any info on these.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine‌, thanks a lot for that clarification, I think I'm going to try @hgtonight‌'s YAGA.