Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Static Pages

Is there a way to have static pages in vanilla forums?
I want to have some basic stuff always there, and not slowly being buried by new threads.

thnx!

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Try that addon: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/basicpages-application

Furthermore you can "Announce" threads which is called "sticky" threads in other forum scripts

• oh nice! I looked at that, but couldn't get it to work.
    I uploaded it to the applications folder, but when I enable it from the dashboard, it fails with a error:

"The specified data type (longtext) is not accepted for the MySQL database."

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

try the extrapage plugin if you just have 3 or less extra static pages, if you want.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/extrapage-plugin

or change the data type of long text in the structure.php of the basic pages program, and see if it works for you.
    to mediumtext or text.

$PageBodyColumnType = 'longtext'; for older versions of basicpages.

http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?10,157804,157806#msg-157806

and most recent.

https://github.com/shadowdare/Vanilla-App-BasicPages/blob/master/settings/structure.php#L55

and since you failed to mention your version number of vanilla, we are only guessing. putting your version number of vanilla really helps you get an accurate answer.

I don't understand why people don't read the posting instructions. kind of tiring asking each time

Please include the version number of Vanilla you are using for troubleshooting help. To file a bug report , please instead post details and steps to reproduce on our GitHub project . For addon-specific questions, go to its addon page and click the "Ask A Question" link.

WHAT VERSION NUMBER OF VANILLA ARE YOU USING?

Everyone, PLEASE POST YOUR VERSION NUMBER OF VANILLA when asking a question,

its not too onerous, is it?

and what version of basicpages plugin are you using?

• the advantage of extra pages plugin with a long static page is, it doesn't require a database lookup to pull out the body and may indeed provide faster performance.

• while basic pages allows more pages and has lots of feature, and is a slick program, my personal view is for long pages and 3 or less pages, and for inclusion of various vanilla user fields, etc, it is far easier to use extrapage and is faster performance wise, and may be easier for for a novice to add and change things in the page (albeit you manually have to create the page in your own text editor

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

Please include the version number of Vanilla you are using for troubleshooting help

maybe this is the problem. the op started a question that wasn't a troubleshooting question. which evolved into a troubleshooting question.

why not change the

• Please include the version number of Vanilla you are using for troubleshooting help."

to

• Please include the version number of Vanilla you are using, when asking a question. for troubleshooting help.

and since there is no message in the add comment box, which could easily be included with this plugin
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/addtexttobox-plugin

@Adrian‌
    It can't hurt, but I know you guys are loathe to change things like this.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hey ya, I was using a 2.0.x version but just updated to the latest and greatest 2.1 version.
    Thnx for pointing that out.

The plugin now loads and allows me to use it, almost...
    The only thing missing is the 'body'. There is just no 'text-box' for me to enter text, and the page is not created without a body.

Ah yeah, and I do plan to make several pages; if topics are good, I'd like to 'freeze' and archive them that way and build a knowledge base that way.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

you already said longtext won't work in your installation.

see my previous comment about structure.php

try changing to Text in Structure.php (shadowdare may have a better response).
    but it can't hurt trying this.

disable the plugin.

delete the page table via phpmayadmin. in the app

change line 55 in basicpages/settings/structure.php

from
    ->Column('Body', 'longtext', false, 'fulltext')
    to

->Column('Body', 'text', false, 'fulltext')

https://github.com/shadowdare/Vanilla-App-BasicPages/blob/master/settings/structure.php#L55

enable the plugin via dashboard. in the exact order mentioned.

• No, last time I said there was an error (posted above). Now that error is not here, I am just not allowed to at 'body' to the page.

But thnx for the tips. Will try them.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

perhaps you didn't set permissions correctly for your role to use basicpages app and add body.

if permissions are correct you could try above.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

did you run /utility/update several times.

you still haven't mentioned the version number of the plugin you are using. kind of like pulling teeth for info.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited June 2014

Basic Pages requires Vanilla 2.1+, as stated in requirements box on its addons page. It cannot be enabled from the dashboard on Vanilla 2.0 installations as it has a requirement coded in for Vanilla 2.1+. You should not modify the structure.php file; keep it unmodified, so that we may help you troubleshoot the issue with a version that has the exact same lines of code as the release version.

Would you post a screenshot of the missing body you are referring to?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• doschdosch New
    edited June 2014

@peregrine said:

you still haven't mentioned the version number of the plugin you are using. kind of like pulling teeth for info.

Since I downloaded the plugin after a tip in this thread a day ago, you can deduce I use the latest version.
    Please bear in mind that if helping people starts feeling like pulling teeth, you might want to consider another hobby. I can also really recommend this Vanilla Forum blog on Community management: http://blog.vanillaforums.com/community/on-boarding-new-community-members-successfully/

I will now read over the grumpy remarks and appreciate your insightful tips to get this wonderful software working.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

So I guess you don't know what the numerical version is ? People can say it is the latest but there are several latest. by refusing to give complete information you are not helping yourself.

Having to ask you several times only shows you either do not know or do not care.

you can deduce I use the latest version

We can also deduce you mean 2.0.18.11 since that is the latest version of 2.0

You might consider an attitude adjustment if you plan on asking for help around here in the future.

you might want to consider another hobby

If he considered another hobby this forum would fall apart. You might end up eating your words next time you need help for something....

• doschdosch New
    edited June 2014

ok, sorry about this. I will find it out myself.

For a forum community this is a pretty harsh welcome.
    Good luck with the dev. I will happily use the code, but not be part of this community.

Chau!
    (vanilla forum doesn't allow account deletion?!)

Example of pulling teeth, when a user refuses to give the information necessary to obtain the help he needed....then blames it on those who are trying to help...

You were asked 5 times you refused to give the info. Making someone guess is not going to get you the correct info unless you want a guess as an answer. It is irritating to have to ask something over and over .

Remember you came here with questions. Many people come here with questions and most try to offer all the info they can in order to make their query successful .

When you post a question there is a notice by the box asking you to add your version number. You ignored that on purpose?

This is a community of volunteers. No one gets paid to do this. We are a nice to people as they are to us. We can't force you to give us the info we need to help you.

• The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress

even the developer of the plugin offered to help and asked him to post a screenshot.

which was ignored by OP. probably not worth continuing on this thread if OP is so recalcitrant about providing information without making people guess or make false assumptions on what they did or did not do.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@vrijvlinder said:

>

This is a community of volunteers. No one gets paid to do this. We are a nice to people as they are to us. We can't force you to give us the info we need to help you.

While this is true, I would appreciate it if you defaulted to tactful replies. Volunteering doesn't give you the right to run over new users.

@peregrine said:

>

even the developer of the plugin offered to help and asked him to post a screenshot.

which was ignored by OP.

Doesn't help that he felt attacked in a previous post. Remember that new people don't know how Vanilla works. Today is your opportunity to teach it to the next 10,000 users.

Also, @dosch probably doesn't know @Shadowdare‌ wrote the plugin. He would have had to read the author field, remember it, and connect the dots.

tl;dr - Being ignorant is excusable; being rude is inexcusable.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

You are probably right, however people also need to help themselves by providing every bit of info they can. Or else be satisfied with the wrong answer based on our assumptions. You also have to admit that this is not the norm. Generally people are kind and we are kind to them in return.

We are also human.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

hg said: Doesn't help that he felt attacked in a previous post. Remember that new people don't know how Vanilla works. Today is your opportunity to teach it to the next 10,000 users.

You are correct hg
    I won't pass up an opportunity like this now though.

teaching instruction Number 1.

please add you version number of vanilla you are using when you are asking a question.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26710/why-adding-your-version-is-more-important-than-ever

My apology to Dosh - I am sorry I felt like a dentist when asking you questions,

Also, @dosch probably doesn't know @Shadowdare‌ wrote the plugin. He would have had to read the author field, remember it, and connect the dots.

I deduced, the OP knew the author, just as he deduced, I knew the version of plugin he was using, oh well we all make false assumptions and deductions when the version number is not supplied.

• I will also no longer ask for a poster's version number, since it should be obvious, from all the discussions asking for it and the informational message when posting.
    • And I will not answer any more posts if the user is such a new vanilla user, that they don't understand how to read the Discussion Posting suggestions, and follow the instructions.

so in effect I will find a new hobby as dosh suggested, since it is a waste of time trying to get people to post their version number.