Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Some categories seen on desktop theme, but not on mobile?

tom762tom762 New
edited July 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have a weird problem.

On my forum I have a few categories that are hidden to guest users. My forum users notified me they can't view these categories on mobile phone using the default mobile theme. BUT, if you request desktop version of the site, these categories are displayed normally?!

The problem is happening for all user roles except administrator. As an administrator I can see all categories fine anywhere.

When on Vanilla 2.0.18.8, everything worked ok, but few days ago I upgraded vanilla to v. 2.1 and it started acting strange. I didn't touch permissions.

Please help me out, I don't have enough knowledge to fix this myself.

Best Answers

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

not sure what to tell you

if you still have problem,

disable all plugins and
    make custom categories viewable to the roles you want.

and see if you have issue.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

and you made need to add this as well to the plugin

'MobileFriendly' =>TRUE,

below 'HasLocale' => TRUE,

in class.excludecategories.plugin.php

Answers

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

did you delete

Delete the files /themes/mobile/views/discussions/helper_functions.php
     AND /applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php

as indicated in instructions. that might be the cause if you didn't.

• Options

@peregrine Yes, I did delete both when upgrading.

As I said, as an admin I can see all categories all the time, but all others can't.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

On my forum I have a few categories that are hidden to guest users.

are you using the standard custom categories permissions, or some plugin.

what plugins do you have enabled.

• Options

Using built-in custom permissions.

Here are my plugins:

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['SplitMerge'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Quotes'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['MobileDefaultRoute'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['ExpandableCategories'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['BotStop'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['AllViewed'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Piwik'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['VanillaStats'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Pockets'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['MaxImageSize'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Gravatar'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['BAK'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Flagging'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['PostCount'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['ButtonBar'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Tapatalk'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['FileUpload'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Signatures'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['LatestPostList'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Emotify'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['AddMenuitem'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['SearchCategory'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['CategoryAds'] = TRUE;

• Options

hmm... now I see I have "Hide from the recent discussions page" enabled on these categories, which is intentional.

These categories are supposed to be hidden until login and also kept out of "all discussions" list when logged in. I guess these two options don't work together.

When I had vanilla 2.0.18.8 installed I had to use HideCategory plugin and was happy to see the 2.1 support hiding some categories natively.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

not sure what to tell you

if you still have problem,

disable all plugins and
    make custom categories viewable to the roles you want.

and see if you have issue.

• Options

I already do have custom categories viewable to the roles I want.

But I also need discussions from some categories viewable only in their categories respectively, not on "all discussions" page.

I hope you understand what I need.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

and you made need to add this as well to the plugin

'MobileFriendly' =>TRUE,

below 'HasLocale' => TRUE,

in class.excludecategories.plugin.php

• Options

@peregrine Great! That seems to do the job. ;)

Still wonder what "Hide from the recent discussions page." really does or is supposed to do though...

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

tom762 said: Still wonder what "Hide from the recent discussions page." really does or is supposed to do though...

if you have permissions to view the category. it will not show those discussions in the topic list on the main discussion page. the topics will only show up when viewing the the individual category.

• Options

@peregrine said:
    if you have permissions to view the category. it will not show those discussions in the topic list on the main discussion page. the topics will only show up when viewing the the individual category.

That's what it's supposed to do, but it obviously doesn't. That's why I had to use the plugin you suggested.

It works on desktop site, but not on mobile.

But anyway, afaic this is solved. Tnx. ;)

• Options

worked for me on mobile. :)

• Options

Sorry, cancel that. This plugin apparently works only for admins? All other users still see the "hidden" categories among all discussions. :(

• Options

Ok, you need to do some debugging ... turn on the mode where you can see sol queries and copy / paste the queries executed as normal user and as admin, then turn modus off ...

Compare sol queries and if you can't figure it out prepare to have it somewhere so some places can take a look

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Ok, I'll try that as soon as I get computer access (about 10 days). Will post results here. Tnx