Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Show Categories, but Not Topics?

I'm trying to entice guests by showing them the list of Categories with a thread count, but not show the threads themselves. I can give guests permission to view, but that allows them to read. Can anyone think of an alternate method?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2014

Try the Categories background plugin and edit the css to hide the part you don't want them to link to by adding a transparent overlay with a z-index of 999 so the links are behind it and cant be clicked.

You can alter the plugin so it only loads that css file when not logged in.

You can also use the Force redirect plugin and alter it so only the pages you want to be shown do and else they go to log in page.

for the plugin force redirect, you would allow the CategoriesController but not the DiscussionsController nor the DiscussionController nor the CategoryController

Controller is another name for body/page in case you wondered...

• Options

Thank you very much! That looks like a very workable option.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

CSS hiding probably isn't going to be a good idea if you are erecting some sort of pay-wall. Users could just view the source, or disable CSS to get at the content you are trying to restrict.

I would create a new method on the categories controller, get the list of all categories (regardless of permissions) and spit out the standard categories/all view.

I can't delve into the details right now, but this way, none of the discussions would be leaked.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

It's not a paywall issue, but that's good to know. We're trying to create a tech support forum for a closed FB group. One of the requirements was that because people we're posting personal information, all users register in order to read. It's an odd requirement, and I'm not sure honestly how much I'm going to do to support it. I'm pretty happy with the "you must login," version, and that's pretty simply to handle.