Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Solved] blank screen due to pop settings

ChalipaChalipa New
edited July 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

hi,

i just installed vanilla and created a test topic, but when i click on it i get a blank white screen...

can any1 tell me how to fix this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

What version number of Vanilla are you running?

Blank screens are usually indicate an error occurred while parsing the PHP script. Please enable debugging by adding $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; to your /conf/config.php file. This should cause an actual error screen to show up.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

i have the latest version 2.1

where exactly should i add that?

under Database, EnabledApplications, Garden?

• Options

anywhere is fine. however, its usually easier to find when you like things together. the config sorts itself out when you make a settings change in dashboard and rewrites itself anyway.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

hi,

i get this when i added the debug code:

Fatal Error in PHP.parse_ini_file();

parse_ini_file() has been disabled for security reasons
    The error occurred on or near: /home/talkvp/public_html/library/core/class.autoloader.php
    714:          
    715:          // Loading cache data from disk
    716:          if (file_exists($OnDiskMapFile)) {
    717:             $Structure = $this->MapInfo['structure']; //GetValue('structure', $this->MapInfo);
    718:             $MapContents = parse_ini_file($OnDiskMapFile, TRUE);
    719:             
    720:             try {
    721:                // Detect legacy flat files which are now stored split
    722:                if ($Structure == self::STRUCTURE_SPLIT && array_key_exists(self::TOPIC_DEFAULT, $MapContents))
    Backtrace:
    /home/talkvp/public_html/library/core/class.autoloader.phpPHP::Gdn_ErrorHandler();
    [/home/talkvp/public_html/library/core/class.autoloader.php:718] PHP::parse_ini_file();
    [/home/talkvp/public_html/library/core/class.autoloader.php:214] Gdn_Autoloader_Map->Lookup();
    [/home/talkvp/public_html/library/core/class.autoloader.php:260] Gdn_Autoloader::DoLookup();
    [/home/talkvp/public_html/library/core/class.autoloader.php:260] Gdn_Autoloader::Lookup();
    [/home/talkvp/public_html/library/core/class.autoloader.php:260] PHP::spl_autoload_call();
    [/home/talkvp/public_html/library/core/class.factory.php:54] PHP::class_exists();
    [/home/talkvp/public_html/library/core/class.gdn.php:156] Gdn_Factory->Factory();
    [/home/talkvp/public_html/library/core/class.gdn.php:198] Gdn::Factory();
    [/home/talkvp/public_html/bootstrap.php:85] Gdn::FactoryInstall();
    [/home/talkvp/public_html/index.php:33] PHP::require_once();
    Variables in local scope:
    [ClassName] 'Gdn_PluginManager'
    [MapOnly] true
    [MapName] 'a_dashboard_library'
    [OnDiskMapFile] '/home/talkvp/public_html/cache/a_dashboard_library_map.ini'
    [Structure] 'flat'
    Need Help?
    If you are a user of this website, you can report this message to a website administrator.
    If you are an administrator of this website, you can get help at the Vanilla Community Forums.
    Additional information for support personnel:
    Application: Vanilla
    Application Version: 2.1
    PHP Version: 5.4.30
    Operating System: Linux
    Server Software: Apache
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_4) AppleWebKit/537.77.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.5 Safari/537.77.4
    Request Uri: /
    Controller: PHP
    Method: parse_ini_file

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

thanks for providing your error info.

it may be a result of using to restrictive a php setup or perhaps php version, e.g. safe mode or some other parameters - you might consider talking to to your host provider

http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.functions.php

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

php safe mode is off and i have php version 5.4.30 but still the same error

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

parse_ini_file has most probably been disabled (via disable_functions) in your php.ini. Some hoster give you access to that file. You can check that and - if possible - remove parse_ini_file from the list by yourself or you have to contact your web hoster to do that for you.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2014

Your host probably thinks disabling parse_ini_file equals better security. But parse_ini_file is a parsing function, it doesn't control file permissions, so it is not better security.

That said this issue probably comes up every now then, probably work putting it in a wrapper.

grep is your friend.

• Options

...besides it is not as they can't get php settings anyway. "Cargo Cult" system admin.

write_ini_string should be enabled too.

grep is your friend.

• Options

ok i have those 2 now i get this error when i click on each topic:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding() in /home/talkvp/public_html/library/vendors/simplehtmldom/simple_html_dom.php on line 988

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/208595/#Comment_208595

many comments in the discussion link provided below, can be helpful to people who are new to vanilla 2.1, I highly recommend it to forum users who have vanilla 2.1 installed. In the end, it will save you more time if you take time to read it. :)

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26685/vanilla-2-1-stable-released

• Options

Thank you all managed to fix it finally...

now i get this:

Debug Trace
    Info Need to re-index theme cache

How can this be removed?