Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Extra space / white bar at top of forum - what is causing it?

SchryversSchryvers
edited July 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello guys,

I have a problem, i dont know how to explain this so i have a screenie of it,

Its the white bar above my forum on every page, dashboard has it, other themes have it, even the mobile site has it.

I dont know its legal to put my webadress here so u guys can look for it maybe, but ill hope the picture says enough, i dont know where to look for this.

hope i can figure it out....

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited July 2014

@‌Schryvers

Welcome to the community.

You will get the best help if you specify the version number of Vanilla that you are using.

Also, try to make the question title specific, rather than general. I've changed it for you.

You are free to post your site address in matters like this.

If you use a web inspector such as Firebug for Firefox you should be able to tell what is causing it.

My guess would be a css spacing issue.

• Options

Thank you for your fast answer,

I downloaded the latest vanilla from the website here 3 days ago. Uploaded and installed it, and i cant remember this white extra space was already there after installing, i quess not.

So but my point is, i maked a few changes in the bootstrap theme, nowhere else. So i really dont know where to look, i used phpbb for ten years + but i think vanilla is more 2014... ;-)

So if you guys can help me out, the adres is ( tattootalk.nl ).

Greets.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Euh i know what im using.. 2.1 right?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

you probably want to change the margin-bottom to 0px

relating to

change <nav class="navbar

there are quite a few links in the tutorials category relating to using web-developer tools and customizing themes and modifying cusutom.css - they may be helpful

http://vanillaforums.org/categories/tutorials

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I just uploaded the whole 2.1 stable version to my server again, deleted al old stuff clean server.

Installed full package, bootstrap theme on works like a charm.

But then, i only made a few regular changes in the views map from bootstrap theme the template.tpl or so, and then theres that awfull white space again!

Downloaded the .tpl from the bootstrap zip package uploaded it and the white space is still there... i really dont get it wat causes this white space! SO now i can delete my whole forum again and upload and install a new en then.... i cant change anything because i put allot of work in it everytime but the white space comes back.....

dont get it whats wrong, when i wanna put here a lil code from my files, the site dont show it right.... strange.

what u think?

• Options

Do i need to put al my custom html into the {literall} tags? because i dont do that...?

• Options

So the original bootstrap theme has that white space always on IE11, IE10 , OPERA and CHROME. How do i delete it its very annoying.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

the problem is not the theme it is your banner. You need to adjust the height of that table and move it to the top. I see the space in safari and chrome as well. The thing to do is try the css I posted on the other discussion.

Only js goes between literal tags not html