Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

merge two DB's

Long story short... I just received an old database for a closed site. I started a new site on the topic and would like to merge the two DBs.

The old site data is a SQL file from a 2.0.3 or maybe 8 Vanilla server
the current system is Vanilla 2.1

Any thoughts or help would be grateful.

Comments

• Install that version on your local PC and restore that database make sure everything works and then upgrade to 2.1

This one is going to be tricky ... let's see if the other guys have a solution first ...

Decide which posts you want to import first ... The 2.0.3 version (A) or the 2.1 version (B)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Use the live site as the foundation for sure. It'll break your SEO to do the reverse.

• So I thought I had, was rebuild permalinks and serve those up as my fall back, but I assume they wont be directly searchable.

If I get a hold of the old site entirely I could upgrade to 2.1 after I rework the web site, or do i get most of this for free installing a new copy on 2.1 and pointing to the old DB?

SO far I have thought of a lot of bad ways... When I maybe a we figure it out I will document this because I can see this happens from time to time...

• If the site is old, let's say 2.0.3 then don't upgrade to 2.1 straight away, go slow and apply the updates till 2.0.18.x and then upgrade to 2.1

That's why you need to set it up on your local PC because then you can backup in between versions, manipulate, debug, etc

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Thanks @UnderDog