Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

where to enter the recaptcha credentials - or insert an own captcha system?

hysofthysoft Macaronesia New

Hi I am new to vanilla and just installed a vanillaforum to my site.
First of all thanks for sharing this piece of software with me.
Now my question:
In the first steps of setting up vanillaforums displayed a dialog box that wanted to have some credentials
for the recaptcha stuff... I clicked it away because I already have a custom made captcha system running on my site.
After setup I noticed new users can't register due to the missing recaptcha...
)-;
So I assume it is essential to have a custom made reCaptcha in the forum.
Meanwhile I got myself credentials for my site in order to get reCaptcha running
but I do not find any place where to enter these credentials.
I searched the forum and doc for two hours. Thanks in advance.
[Maybe you should consider to put this topic somewhere, where you can actually find it]

Greetings from Spain

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

to paraphrase underdog, my crystal ball says you may be talking about vanilla version 2.1, but you may be talking about a different version of vanilla entirely. If you are using vanilla 2.1 - you could set to basic registration via config.php and use the http://vanillaforums.org/addon/addregistrationquestion-plugin

in this way you can bypass the use of captcha and still have some applicant spam prevention.

hysoft said: [Maybe you should consider to put this topic somewhere, where you can actually find it]

sometimes it just a scavenger hunt. sometimes a crystal ball.

you could look at the plugin mentioned and others for ideas how to validate and add to forms. also wiki has some info as well.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    hysofthysoft Macaronesia New

@peregrine said:
    to paraphrase underdog, my crystal ball says you may be talking about vanilla version 2.1, but you may be talking about a different version of vanilla entirely. If you are using vanilla 2.1 - you could set to basic registration via config.php and use the http://vanillaforums.org/addon/addregistrationquestion-plugin

in this way you can bypass the use of captcha and still have some applicant spam prevention.

Thanks for your answer. I found the place where to add the credentials and will stick to it as long as I am testing. If I am in need of using my own captchas
    (which have not been pwned by now) I will get back to you. Thanks

• Options

vrijvlinder said this quoting style sucks, I have a hard time distinguishing between a quote and the comment....

agreed - I don't know why they removed the background color of quotes or something about it - it was really one million times +- 1 better before. so we know it can be done

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.