Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How can I hide a members IP Address from moderators?

I'm new to vanilla and I was wondering if this was possible, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

ip address is controlled by garden moderation manage in vanilla 2.1 if that box is checked for a role it is viewable, at least in comments, and probably elsewhere as well.

other wise you would need to write a plugin or modify core,

in vanilla 2.1

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/2.1/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/helper_functions.php#L131

it has different permissions in dependent on version of vanilla.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited July 2014

@peregrine said:
    ip address is controlled by garden moderation manage. if that box is checked for a role it is viewable, at least in comments, and probably elsewhere as well.

Is it possible to keep the garden moderation manage option checked but at the same time remove disable viewing the ip address?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

edwardthegreat said:

Is it possible to keep the garden moderation manage option checked but at the same time remove disable viewing the ip address?

yes,

1 depending on the version of vanilla. permissions are different and it is not controlled by garden.moderation manage in some versions of vanilla.

or

2 modify via plugin or

3 via core file change (not recommended to change core)

it would need to be changed on profile page and comments and a few other places.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited July 2014

@peregrine said:
    it would need to be changed on profile page and comments and a few other places.

Where are the locations?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

use grep and search for ip address in the view folders most likely.

I haven't searched myself.

• Options
    edited July 2014

@peregrine said:
    use grep and search for ip address in the views, most likely.

Thanks, I'll try searching for it

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@peregrine said:
    use grep and search for ip address in the view folders most likely.

One thing to note, modifying the view will not null out the data. This means anyone can still see the IP (as long as they have the moderation permission) by viewing the data render of a page.

If you are serious about IP address security, you will have to create a plugin that filters out the IP information from the data render (which will also take care of the view).

That said, anyone worried about their IP should be using some method to mask it on their end.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

the bigger question is, why would you not trust your moderators enough with knowing someone's ip address.
    I suppose there could be a case for that, though. You could also - just block the ip from being written to the database, but that would prevent anyone from seeing ip.

but it looks like this may have a new option in new vanilla versions.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/166767/#Comment_166767

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@peregrine said:
    the bigger question is, why would you not trust your moderators enough with knowing someone's ip address.

I don't get the big deal either, since an IP does not equal a person legally (at least in the states).

BUT, if you care about it, don't just get rid of the information superficially.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.