Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Mail notification sent to wrong user

edited July 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi guys,

I hope you can give some advice about this.

On my forum, I've created a new discussion and I've bookmarked it. I am the only user who has the discussion bookmarked.

I also have the option "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions" selected.

Now, an user write a new comment and I don't get the mail.

But that's not all. When I comment on the discussion... other user gets the mail.

I have looked the activity table and it's a little weird. This is from the activity table.

I am UserID 20, UserID 33 is John and UserID 167 is Mary; ActivityTypeID 18 is new comment and 22 is bookmark mail.

As you can see, John write a comment (111009) and mail should be sent to me (111007) --> but neither I nor other user received this mail

Then, I write another comment (111010) and it's Mary who receives the mail (111011) --> I asked her, she received the mail

It's the same with 111012 and 111013, I write the comment and Mary receives the mail.

Mary doesn't have the discussion bookmarked.

So I have two problems:

• At some point, the application is mixing Users ID and sending emails to the wrong users.
  • Some mails aren't being send.

Any ideas where I can start looking?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Options

Any ideas where I can start looking?

first step would be to figure out what version of vanilla you are using.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yes , pinning the tale on the donkey gets a bit old no? Please don't say latest version ;)

• Options

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

I would worry more about people compromising your forum due to security holes.

Upgrade to 2.1 or 2.0.18.11

it may even fix your perceived problem.

not only are you putting your forum at risk by running an old version, you are putting all the users who log in to your forum at risk as well for possible data compromises.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Solved after updating to 2.1.

Thanks!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

@DarkShared said:
    Solved after updating to 2.1.

Thanks!

Glad it worked out for you. Probably time for every forum owner to bite the bullet and upgrade 2.0.18.x to 2.1.1 - many more features, security fixes, bug fixes, etc. I'm not sure which plugins (incompatible with 2.1) would be a reason for someone not to upgrade, and if if its because of core changes someone made (its probably time to get on the bandwagon) and try to use plugins instead of core changes.

It will be great when questions concerning versions pre 2.1 are a fond memory, but a thing of the past, instead of the present.