Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla 2.1 + Bitter sweet theme user registration problem

Hi,

I have a fresh install of Vanilla 2.1 with Bitter sweet theme 1.1

There seems to be a problem with user registration, specifically with validation of the fields on the registration form. It jams up for a second then opens a frame on top of my page with a 404 error.

Any ideas? I've done zero customization.... and the problem goes away if I change themes.

The url is :
http://www.permacultureorchard.com/forums/

Thanks!

Olivier

Comments

• Options

Almost awesome opening post ... I'm missing the post started from the theme add on page (ask question) and a screenshot ... any details of that frame in your browser inspector?

Can you restart from the plugin page please

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

@UnderDog

• if the theme is a core plugin or add-on - there is no way for a user to do what you suggest.

• there is no theme add-on page for core themes (e.g. bittersweer) and plugins, just github.

@Olivier_Asselin

do you have any plugins installed.

It jams up for a second then opens a frame on top of my page with a 404 error.

do you have a screen shot and did you check your access logs.

post your .htaccess and what folder is your forum located in?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2014

Try my theme BetterBitter it is an improved version see if it works for you :)

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/betterbitter-theme

• Options

I haven't installed additional plugins after the install. The only plugins that are active are "Button bar" and "vanilla Statistics". For what it's worth, same problem occurs with both plugins inactive.

My forum is in subfolder /forums

Here's my .htaccess from that folder:

RewriteEngine On
    # Certain hosts may require the following line.
    # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /.
    # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
    # RewriteBase /
    RewriteBase /forums
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    ​​​​​​​​​​​​

• Options

The problem isn't present with BetterBitter theme. I guess I'll have to use that and try to customize it.

Still doesn't explain why it doesn't work, especially since its one of the core themes?

• Options
    edited July 2014

​​​​​​​​​​​​> @Olivier_Asselin said:

The problem isn't present with BetterBitter theme. I guess I'll have to use that and try to customize it.

Yes that is why I call it BetterBitter ;)
    I do not know why BitterSweet will not work right but try this in your htaccess and see if you have

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE; in your config.php

RewriteEngine On
        # Certain hosts may require the following line.
        # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
        # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
        RewriteBase /forums
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]

• Options

@‌vrijvlinder

Yes I have rewriteurls = TRUE, not sure what you're saying I should try in my .htaccess, what you're suggesting is exactly what I have already.

• Options

based on that pic you posted, the url on that page is not a pretty url which made me think you did not have rewrite true or possible htaccess mistake, but if none are the culprit then stick to the one that works and customize it. I made it so it was easy to understand and to edit. And if you need help at least I know the theme well and can help you if you need.

• Options

ok thanks a lot!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

Do you have the same problem when you use applicant approval. as registration method without captcha.

I wonder if the problem is with recaptcha itself.

or with embedding in wordpress. does it have a problem when it is not embedded.

and do you have the same problem with Baseline+

I kind of find it hard to see how bittersweet would give a 404 error and absolutely no other theme gives you an error.
    I think there is more to the story than the theme. bitter or not.
    Especially since no one else has reported the issue with bittersweet and nothing in it would seem to cause that. based on theme design.

unless it has to do with this. (which is unlikely)

src: local('Bitter-Regular'), url('http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/bitter/v3/2PcBT6-VmYhQCus-O11S5-vvDin1pK8aKteLpeZ5c0A.woff') format('woff');
    }

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I use the same google font in BetterBitter and t does not do that. Keep in mind that BetterBitter is a php based master. I converted the theme from tpl to php. That may be why it works and the other not. Because of the way the url is written in the tpl/smarty may be the key to the trouble. But I suspect something else

the domain uses www or just the name

www.vrijvlinder.com versus vrijvlinder.com

a relative url will cause a 404 based on how the domain is set up.

• Options

its all guesswork and assumptions until the user responds.