Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Tagging or hub forums?

I'm not a power user, and was wondering if there's plugins or other easy methods to setup vanilla forums to handle the following:

Either a robust tagging system with pre-set tags that can be filtered for right from the category list.

Or a way to have hub forums, where the contents of all sub-forums are displayed in the hub forum. This would allow someone to view the hub forum to see all the topics in sub forums, or go into a sub forum to drill down into a more specific subject.

I'd also like to have a more traditional forum layout, while still gaining the above organizational features.

I need to create two different forums that will cover a lot of topics, which means a lot of sub forums. I'd like to avoid having too many sub forums since it divides a community too much early on.

I'm willing to purchase plug ins, or contract someone write them.

I did see the tagging plug ins, only problem is both the default tagging, and tagging enhanced seem to have built in errors, or lack of functionality. I got the default tagging plugin to work, but I can't add tags from the dashboard without crashing, and tagging enhanced doesn't work at all.