Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How can I remove "Vanilla forum" footer image on version 2.1.1

Please does anyone know how to remove the "vanilla forum" footer image on version 2.1.1 on the default theme and mobile theme?

Best Answer

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

You DON'T.

You should make a new theme. Never modify the default theme so you can debug with the standard default theme.

Create a new theme folder and copy the contents of default theme to your new theme.

e.g. themes/newtheme

then edit the about.php in themes/newtheme

$ThemeInfo['default'] = array(
    'Name' => '+Baseline',

so the name matches exactly (upper and lower case) (within the brackets).

$ThemeInfo['newtheme'] = array(
    'Name' => 'My New Them',

and put https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/2.1/applications/dashboard/views/default.master.tpl

into the views folder of your new theme. create one if necessary

themes/newtheme/views/default.master.tpl

and then remove the line

<a href="{vanillaurl}" class="PoweredByVanilla" title="Community Software by Vanilla Forums">Powered by Vanilla</a>

you will probably want to change the mobile theme as well. duplicating the mobiletheme to mymobiletheme

or whatever name you want.

change the name in about.php

then change the config statement in /conf/config.php to point to your new mobile theme folder

$Configuration['Garden']['MobileTheme'] = 'mymobiletheme';

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thank you for your quick reply.
    How will creating a new theme affect all the plugins I have already enabled on my forum?
    Will the new theme support all the plugins?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

cloning the default theme will not affect your plugins. if they worked before with the default theme.

the idea is selecting a new theme in your dashboard is quick. you could easily see for yourself as well :)

clone it , change it, does it work. Yes - great. no, change back.

thats the whole idea of not modfying any code in the default theme itself.

removing the href line above would not affect a plugin, unless a plugin specifically was looking for that line. I know of none.

just don't remove the entire footer.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thank you. I have cloned the default theme and it is working perfectly.
    However, the mobile theme did not work. I could not find $Configuration['Garden']['MobileTheme'] in /conf/config.php
    Do I need to create a "views" folder for the cloned mobile theme like I did for the default theme? Please I need more detail. Thank you for your assistance.

• ProsperProsper ✭✭
    edited September 2014

Thank you @peregrine for your assistance. The mobile theme now works ok.

• https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/2.1/applications/dashboard/views/default.master.tpl

and then remove the line

<a href="{vanillaurl}" class="PoweredByVanilla" title="Community Software by Vanilla Forums">Powered by Vanilla</a>

I am trying to follow the above tutorial. I have cloned the default theme and now in the process of putting the "default.master.pl". However, I click this link https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/2.1/applications/dashboard/views/default.master.tpl
    It showed nothing and said "this is no the page you are looking for". I tried to input the keyword "default.master.tpl" on Github site and this is what I see https://github.com/bleistivt/HTMLedit (I assume this is what I need and I upload this file in here themes/newtheme/views/

I browse the site but I still cannot find the file calle default.master.tpl

Can any body tell me what I did wrong? I hope @peregrine can help me.

Thank you in advance.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@rsaepuloh

You need to find the file via a file manager; it won't show up in your site.

You need to copy the file over to your theme.

• rsaepulohrsaepuloh New
    edited December 2015

@whu606

I did check through File Manager.
    Just to make sure . . .
    1. I copied the default theme and made a new folder called newtheme and pasted everything from the default theme to the "newtheme". I did this step:

edited the about.php in themes/newtheme

$ThemeInfo['default'] = array(
    'Name' => '+Baseline',
    so the name matches exactly (upper and lower case) (within the brackets).

$ThemeInfo['newtheme'] = array(
    'Name' => 'My New Them',

But then I got lost following this step . . .

and put https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/2.1/applications/dashboard/views/default.master.tpl

and then remove the line

you will probably want to change the mobile theme as well. duplicating the mobiletheme to mymobiletheme

or whatever name you want.

change the name in about.php

then change the config statement in /conf/config.php to point to your new mobile theme folder

$Configuration['Garden']['MobileTheme'] = 'mymobiletheme';

Should I click the link and download the file and upload it in the newly created folder here: themes/newtheme/views/ ???????

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

No, you have to take the file from your vanilla folder. It should be here: applications/dashboard/views/default.master.tpl
    Copy that file over to your theme and change this copy.

• Thank you so much @R_J I it worked.
    I will continue to change the mobile theme later.