Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

something has gone wrong

Hello, I've installed the latest vanilla forums (open source) on our site, and it was working up until yesterday.

We have a WP site and I linked it to Vanilla , so I checked that first, and everything seems good there.

Next, I checked the forums direct link and it shows an error page. http://liberatedguild.com/vanilla/

Would you be able to give me some advice on what I should look at to see what has happened?

Comments

• Options

Yes, enable debugging by adding $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; to your /conf/config.php

And post the actual error message here.

• Options
    isurusisurus New
    edited September 2014

Thanks, I was hoping you'd say something like that.
    Our host has offered an upgraded WordPress experience, seems like what they've done has affected Vanilla adversely. I haven't dug into this to see if I should try to fix it. Your wisdom is appreciated.

Will try a new install to see if that helps.

An error occurred while attempting to connect to the database
    SQLSTATE[HY000] [2054] The server requested authentication method unknown to the client
    The error occurred on or near: /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/library/database/class.database.php
    63:
    64: if ($Timeout)
    65: throw new Exception(ErrorMessage('Timeout while connecting to the database', $this->ClassName, 'Connection', $ex->getMessage()), 504);
    66:
    67: trigger_error(ErrorMessage('An error occurred while attempting to connect to the database', $this->ClassName, 'Connection', $ex->getMessage()), E_USER_ERROR);
    68: }
    69: }
    70:
    71: return $this->_Connection;

Backtrace:
    /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/library/database/class.database.phpPHP::Gdn_ErrorHandler();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/library/database/class.database.php:67] PHP::trigger_error();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/library/database/class.database.php:289] Gdn_Database->Connection();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/library/database/class.sqldriver.php:1650] Gdn_Database->Query();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/library/database/class.sqldriver.php:927] Gdn_SQLDriver->Query();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/library/core/class.model.php:440] Gdn_SQLDriver->GetWhere();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/library/core/class.model.php:400] Gdn_Model->GetWhere();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/applications/dashboard/models/class.usermodel.php:1010] Gdn_Model->GetID();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/applications/dashboard/models/class.usermodel.php:1188] UserModel->GetID();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/library/core/class.session.php:325] UserModel->GetSession();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/library/core/class.auth.php:41] Gdn_Session->Start();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/bootstrap.php:207] Gdn_Auth->StartAuthenticator();
    [/hermes/bosnaweb05a/b1617/nf.somebodyorother/public_html/liberatedguild/vanilla/index.php:33] PHP::require_once();

Variables in local scope:
    [ex] array (
    'errorInfo' => NULL,
    )
    [Timeout] false

Additional information for support personnel:
    Application: Vanilla
    Application Version: 2.1.1
    PHP Version: 5.5.6
    Operating System: Linux
    Server Software: Apache/2
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.103 Safari/537.36
    Request Uri: /vanilla/
    Controller: Gdn_Database
    Method: Connection

• Options

That looks like something you need to contact your hoster for. Vanilla can't connect to the database anymore.

Ask them for your database connection credentials and if they have changed with the update.
    Then set the new ones in your config in the Database section.

• Options

I've tried new installs, one for 2.1.1 and one for 2.1.3.

They both report SQLSTATE[HY000] [2054] The server requested authentication method unknown to the client

Yeah, their upgrade hosed something... :/

• Options

Try setting a new mysql password. If there was a php upgrade from 5.2, this could be the cause:

The new mysqlnd library necessitates the use of MySQL 4.1's newer 41-byte password format. Continued use of the old 16-byte passwords will cause mysql_connect() and similar functions to emit the error, "mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using old authentication."

from http://php.net/manual/en/migration53.incompatible.php

• Options

ssh into your server.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/set-password.html

set up new user and password.

then try the new user and passwords and create a new database

use the new user and password when you re-install vanilla.

use phpinfo() to get more stats.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewth./viewthread/713781/

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.