Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Installing Vanillaforums via softaculous

Hello Friends.
I tried installing vanillaforums at a subdomain i.e. at forum.gomilitary.in but it was rather installed at gomilitary.in/forum so I removed vanillaforums, deleted the subdomain, recreated it again and now when I try to install it on that subdomain I get the following error.
"Could not access your domain. Please make sure your domain is pointing to this server and there is no .htaccess file restricting access to your domain"

Any idea, where I'm going wrong and can someone point me to an article for installing vanilla forums on subdomain easily via softaculous if possible. Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    Welcome to the community!

I would file a ticket with your webhost.

I, personally, do not recommend installing Vanilla via an installer.

Ok. I choose the other way of installing it.
    1. Made a sub-domain i.e. Forum.gomilitary.in
    2. Created Database, databsae user and password.
    3. Extracted vanilla forums into the subdomain.
    3. Tried visiting forum.gomilitary.in but it was not present there. So tried visiting Gomilitary.in/Forum
    4. Vanilla was present here, installed it and got to the Getting Started page.
    PS : I left the database host as localhost, changed other things as created in Step 2

Now my question is why is it not installing on my sub domain and rather at a sub page. Am I doing something wrong ?

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited September 2014

Maybe this will help clear it up

http://www.bloggingflail.com/subdomains-vs-subdirectories/

I think you should use a subdirectory not a subdomain for the test install. Simply make a new folder inside the root of your site and call it forumtwo or whatever. You can have unlimited installs like this without a new domain.