Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can you filter Questions or Discussions by username @mention ?

It would be great if you can add this to the forum homepage filters alongside "mine" allowing you to see all posts that contain your @‌username mentioned in them.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

allowing you to see all posts that contain your @‌username mentioned in them.

roughly:

http://vanillaforums.org/profile/notifications

filter on activity type 25 and 26

or a search

http://vanillaforums.org/search?adv=&search=townfish

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

to search for the at Sign. specifically with search

it seems you might need to temporarily set

$Configuration['Garden']['Search']['Mode'] = "like";

instead of match for boolean.

which would be slow on a big forum.

prior to search and add a link and make a search on @ with username.

SaveToConfig('Garden.Search.Mode', "like", array('Save' => FALSE));

then reset back to match for regular search.

or use sphinxsearch.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I simply wouldn't do it, because that is what notifications are made for.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2014

Actually you can use the the activity record for the notification becuase it refers to post id ether Discussion or Comment.

grep is your friend.

• The Activity record allows users to add comemnts which I don't like, the notification stream could do what I want but I am yet to see how it looks when you are mentioned in discussions so I will mention myself here to test it @townfish

• It seems you don't get a notification when you mention yourself. Also I would want to see the actual comment in the notification feed rather than "Xmember commented on your question". I would like to display a feed of all the comments made that mentioned my username and actually show the comments in the feed, just like on Twitter when you click on the Connect button it shows you the comments your username was mentioned in.

• @R_J said:
    Hi TownFish :)

Thanks @R_J , although I only got a notification that you had made a comment to my question and not one that said I had been mentioned in a comment.

• You need to change your notification settings.

grep is your friend.

• My notification settings are ticked YES for notify me when someone mentions me so I think they are set correctly. Infact everything is ticked yes in the Popup column

• If it entered into activity regardless of if you get an email or not, you can use that.

grep is your friend.

• I only got a notification to say R_J had commented on my question but it didn't send me a notification to say that I had been mentioned in a comment. If I had been mentioned in a comment outside my own question somewhere else on the forum would I receive this type of notification to say I had been mentioned.

Back to the original requirement, I would like to customise the way notifications display and actually show the full comment rather than a note to say someone had commented - is this possible?

• Ok R_J did a test for me in a seperate discussion and gave me a mention and I received the mention notification fine! Thanks R_J

Well, it is surely possible. The info where you have been mentioned is in GDN_Activity and the discussion/comment is in GDN_Discussion/GDN_Comment. You can either tweak /profile/notifications or create a whole new page. But it all comes down to: can you write a plugin by yourself but only need some specific hints or do you need any developer to do it for you? If you need a developer you either have to convince someone about the usefulness of this plugin and how much fun it will be to create it or you have to pay someone.

• Thanks R_J, we already have our own PHP development team who have been building lots of custom plugins already for our new forum (one of the reasons we chose vanilla) so they will have no problem building this for me. I just wanted to see if it was a pretty simple task and something other people had already done before so I could give any feedback or code to the developers. The info you have given has been useful thankyou.

What we are looking to achiive is a Twitter style notifcations feed on a seperate feed viawable at login stage, where users can view any written comments you get mentioned in and can reply directly to that comment via the feed.

@TownFish said:
    Thanks R_J, we already have our own PHP development team who have been building lots of custom plugins already for our new forum

I'm looking forward for your contributions to the addons ;)

I just wanted to see if it was a pretty simple task and something other people had already done before so I could give any feedback or code to the developers. The info you have given has been useful thankyou.

I can't think of any useful example :(

What we are looking to achiive is a Twitter style notifcations feed on a seperate feed viawable at login stage, where users can view any written comments you get mentioned in and can reply directly to that comment via the feed.

I must admit that this sounds interesting!