Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

So, how do I start?

I've set up a new forum on my website, and when I go to log in and get everything set up, it asks for lots of details, such as my database name and password, but I haven't the slightest clue what these are. I'm sure I didn't have this problem last year when I set up a Vanilla forum on my other site, it was quick and easy. How do I find out all the details I need to set up this account? I tried using the same host, username and password I used for FTP to upload to the site, but that doesn't work, so I suspect it is something else.
Thank you.

Answers

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

You need the connection details to a MySQL database. If you are unsure of where to find these details, I would suggest contacting your webhost. Most webhosts provide a basic control panel allowing for the creation of databases. Poking around in there might help you out.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I don't remember creating a database like that last time, it was just a case up uploading the files to the myhtml folder and done, but I'll ask my webhost, see what they can tell me. it seems it's not my cpanel account details it wants.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

I would use vanilla 2.1.3 instead of vanilla 2.0.18.x as well.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

oliver

Prior to installing Vanilla, you need to have created a mySQL db for Vanilla to connect to, and be able to provide the login details to that (name of db and pw)

If you've got access to cPanel, you could use m SQL Database wizard.